Limping rear leg

Thread: Limping rear leg

DefaultLimping rear leg

My just over one year old yellow lab has started sort of limping with one rear leg. When he starts off into a fast gait it is pronounced and when he runs the rear legs move together. He is also really lethargic compared to normal. Of course my fear is hip displasia (sp?) which seem to match. I checked his pads to see if he picked up a burr or something and didn't see anything that made it look out of normal.

Lately he's been exercising great but for the last couple days since I noticed it he's seemed less active. Wondering if maybe he pulled a muscle. Unless he starts looking better I plan on taking him to the vet.

Any advice or recommendations on how to diagnose or treat until the beginning of the week?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Limping rear leg

rest and book vet appointment

hoping all is ok
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

kepinkham is offline Junior Member

Does he bunny hop on the good legs, keeping the "bad" leg up in the air? Our 1 1/2 year old had been doing that off and on, and he was just diagnosed with patellar luxation, basically his knee cap pops out. Now we have to pop it back in place, with surgery to repair the loose tendons somewhere down the line...

I agree with previous post, rest a couple of days then see the vet. If the symptoms come and go, try taking a short video on your camera to show the vet in case the symptoms do not appear when in the office!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Have you exercised him unusually hard recently? Muppet limps if I push her too hard, but then after a rest she is fine? Keep us posted? X

Today he seems to be a little better. The gait is still different but doesn't seem as pronounced as yesterday. I am going to take him out for a little walk now to see if I can assess any changes. Overall he seems much calmer than usual. I am careful not to call it lethargic since we've been working on training and in general he is becoming much calmer.

One question about watching him walk/run. When Honcho walks he seems to sashay if that's the right word. Almost like he's swishing every once in a while. While I respect his lifestyle choice , I'm wondering if this is normal. When he runs the back legs aren't completely in unison and it seems like he's getting back his normal run although he's not real interested in running or going after the ball like normal.

Still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for something minor.

Muppet walks and trots like she needs a wee if thats what you mean?

labby is offline Senior Member

Stop letting this dog run and get the dog to the vet. By not resting this dog you are causing the dog more pain. Let the vet access its gait and the way it walks.

Laura

I agree with the previous post. Keep your dog housebound and no off leash activity until you can take it to a vet. My dog injured herself in March - toe touching only and she just had TPLO surgery 3 weeks ago. As much as they want to play you need to stop any unnecessary activity

No exercise until the vet visit. Trust me. Maybe very small leash walks for smelling and bathroom. NO BALL PLAY!!! We are 4 days into recovery from TPLO (torn cruciate ligament) from similar issues. This is not fun.

pat
    pat is offline Senior Member

You must see a Vet. It could be many things. Keep your dog low key until you clear it through your Vet.