SWITCHING TO ORIJEN PUPPY FOOD.

Thread: SWITCHING TO ORIJEN PUPPY FOOD.

DefaultSWITCHING TO ORIJEN PUPPY FOOD.

HI ALL!

I was feeding my 5 month old black lab Nutrience med breed because that's what the pet store was using. I asked my vet whether I should keep her on med breed and he told me to switch her to large breed. I slowly mixed the dog food from Nutrience med breed to nutrience LB, feeding 1 cup old food and half cup new food. I did that for a few days and than I made it 50/50. Eventually she was on 1 cup new food and half cup old food. Even after all this she had diarhea. I took her to the vet immediately and they did not find anything abnormal in her abdomen or colon and she didn't have a fever. they sent me home with $30 worth of prescription food ( canned)and after two days I had to slowly introduce her to the old dog food. I discovered a dog food called ORIJEN on this forum and I checked the website soon after. This dog food is ALL Canadian grown ingredients and Canadian chicken and Turkey. This food is also produced in Canada EH! The website was very convincing and from what I read on the internet this seems to be a really god dog food.

My question is. Do dogs normally experience diarhea during any food change or am I stuck feeding junk to my dog? Will this problem go away?I really like this dog food and would love to be able to feed her only the best.

She is up to date with all shots and received "Advantage multi " for worms and fleas. The vet took a stool sample, however, has not given me the results yet.Listed below is the website.

http://orijen.ca/

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: SWITCHING TO ORIJEN PUPPY FOOD.

Hi I am feeding my 5 1/2 mos old Orijen Large breed puppy. She is doing great on it. 2 poops a day compared to 5 and she is growing just fine with it. Orijen company which is champion pet foods are so nice to talk to for any questions or concerns. i even spoke with their nutritionist a few times. THis food is spoken so highly of i would give it a try good luck. Where are you located as it is hard to get in some places? Do the transition slowly and remember orijen is a very dense rich food so you will be feeding much less. i feed 1.5 cups 2 times a day. i do mix a tiny bit of broth or boiled chicken or even a tsp of wellness or higher quality canned. she loves it. just switch slowly...

how much does your lab weigh? male or female? mine is female and 45 lbs

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

When I brought Rowan home at 7 weeks and did the food switch she had diarrhea. When I switched her at 1 year from Nutro to Orijen - gradually.. she was fine. I did do it gradually too when she was a 'baby' but her stomach was likely more sensitve.

She is fed Orijen - Fish Formula.... and Bentley is feed ORIJEN - LBP
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Thanks for the info guys!

Meadow is 5 months old and weighs 40 pounds. I am not sure if she is average in weight or under weight? I live in Durham region which is 50 kms east of Toronto. I bought ORIJEN at "global pet foods" in north east oshawa (harmony and Taunton). If you go on the ORIJEN website it will tell you all the retailers that carry the product. Also, Orijen can be bought on-line (I would hate to pay for shippping) :'(

No call from the vet yet but the diarhea is getting better. I have also noticed that her poop was darker. On nutrience she was going about two times before going to work and about 4-5 times more during the day. That tells me that nutrience is a crap food that just goes in and out, kinda like Mcdonalds right?

her weight sounds fine. Just keep an eye on her weight with the Orijen. My pup gained at one time 4 pounds in a month which was fine but last week it was 4 pounds in a week!!! Couldve been a growth spurt but i cut back down to 1.5 cup twice a day where as the week she gained alot i was giving her 2 cups maybe 2 1/4 twice a day. And yes their poops are darker and less frequently!! Belle was going 5 times a day on eagle pack and now only 2 times.