Discharge - Smegma

Thread: Discharge - Smegma

DefaultDischarge - Smegma

Hello everyone

I am very new to your forum and in desperate need of your help and advice please. We have a 2 year old gorgeous chocolate lab, Bosun. Over the past 6 months he has had a continuous discharge, milky in colour and sometimes green. Obviously we have gone through the Vets who back in November told us it was "crystals" and he was to stay on a very low protein diet and have the special low protein food. This we did for 2 months! During that time Bosun had an ultrasound scan which revealed he did not have crystals and no infection either. We thought it had cleared! We have now been advised by the Vet that Bosun's condition is nothing more than he produces an excessive amount of the natural lubrication named "smegma" and although the Vet was not 100% certain, he recommended we consider having Bosun castrated as this "might help" with the constant dripping. Me and my husband are totally at a loss what to do... of course if we had even an 80% certainty that the discharge would subside after castration then we would go with that no problem, but our concerns are if we go for castration and the discharge is still there then we have put Bosun through all that stress for nothing. I am writing just to ask if any of you have had this condition in your dog, or even know of anyone who has. Any help, or advice would be greatly appreciated please. Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Discharge - Smegma

Males produce smegma whether they are neutered or intact, so thinking that neutering will "cure" this is wrong. Whether it will slow down Bosun's producing a lot of it, who knows.

Neutering is not a lot of stress. Especially compared to spaying or getting sued because your male got someone's female dog pregnant.

Bosun might just be one of those who doesn't clean himself up well. Part of the fun of owning a male sometimes.

Laura

Thanks so much for your reply.... However, Bosun is constantly cleaning himself, and we on a daily basis have to flush him with a mild antiseptic wash, advised by our Vet. This natural lubricant (smegma) is a large amount, not just the normal amount what you expect to find in any male dog.

Thanks again....
    Tracy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I wonder if the daily flush isn't making him produce more. I know if you clean ears on a regular basis, it makes the ear produce more wax. I have two intact boys and one is so stinkin' clean he never seems to have a discharge. The other hasn't quite figured out what he's supposed to do (more likely he doesn't care LOL) so he produces a bit more and I do find it sometimes on places where I'd rather not. It doesn't drip out of him though or if it does I don't see it.

Laura