Grain Free & Puppies?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grain Free & Puppies?

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

DefaultGrain Free & Puppies?

We recently bought Ben (he was 6 mos.) and when we told the breeder we were feeding Taste of the Wild (grain free) to our other two dogs she said that was fine for Ben. He's doing great But I recently read here that grain free might not be appropriate for puppies.
    I went to the dog food analysis site and many of the reviews said not appropriate for puppies because of high calcium and protein. It did not say this for TOTW and its protein content was 10% less than the ones with "the warning". Calcium was not listed.
    Your thoughts on if we're "okay" would be greatly appreciated. Going to get more dog food today.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My adult is on grain free and my puppy is on a LBP food - not grain free. My breeder was quite adamant about what a bad idea it would be to have the puppy on a grain free food.

But - my puppy is just 10 weeks old - a 6 month old is probably not as much risk.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Nick is offline Senior Member

Don't worry about the protein. That's an old relic that refuses to die. There were older studies from 20-30 years ago that though protein caused problems. All studies since then have refuted that assertion. It was the calcium that caused the problems. Most of the grain-free foods do have a lot more calcium and protein, but there are some that do not have as much calcium.

Contact Taste of the Wild and they'll tell you how much calcium is in it. They've always been really good at quickly replying to any questions I send them.
    http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/contact_us/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultThank You

thanks for the website. They responded very quickly. I'm pretty comfortable with what I'm feeding now. Thanks again

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Orijen is the only grain free food (LBP) that has safe amounts of calcium for growing Labs. Feed till one year of age and switch to adult. And Orijen does not use ethoxyquin, BHA or BHT as a preservative in their fish.

TOTW is too high in calcium. I found the amounts from over a year ago but I don't think they have changed. You want calcium of 1.5% or below.

Taste of the wild /calcium 2.1

Pacific stream/ calcium 1.9

wetlands/ calcium 2.1

EVO and Natures Variety Instinct (3% and 2.49%) are also too high.

Hi protein is not an issue for pups as mentioned above.

DefaultThank You

Thanks...I'll try to find it around here. Orijen isn't a brand that I have ever noticed around here (northeast) but maybe I just didn't look hard enough. I'll keep my eyes open.

Nick is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors View Post
    Orijen is the only grain free food (LBP) that has safe amounts of calcium for growing Labs. Feed till one year of age and switch to adult. And Orijen does not use ethoxyquin, BHA or BHT as a preservative in their fish.

TOTW is too high in calcium. I found the amounts from over a year ago but I don't think they have changed. You want calcium of 1.5% or below.

Taste of the wild /calcium 2.1

Pacific stream/ calcium 1.9

wetlands/ calcium 2.1

EVO and Natures Variety Instinct (3% and 2.49%) are also too high.

Hi protein is not an issue for pups as mentioned above.
    Thank you for posting the amounts. I see where it's no longer on their website (or maybe it never was). I agree, I would not feed a food with that much calcium to a puppy.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Orijen is the only grain free food (LBP) that has safe amounts of calcium for growing Labs. Feed till one year of age and switch to adult.

Actually, Go! Natural has Now! which is suitable for growing puppies, as is Fromm Surf and Turf.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I didn't know about those foods. Good to know.

Checking them out, while calcium is safe, I personally like the ingredients in Orijen better. More protein less potatoe, pea, pea flour, etc.

If I had to make a choice between the 2 I would choose the Fromm.

As others mentioned it's the calcium/phosphorus levels you have to watch. Orijen is great and I believe that Fromm foods have the correct levels as well, but you would have to check into that. High protein is not bad for a dog of any age (puppy, adult, senior). Unless your dog has a pre-existing kidney or liver condition there is no restriction on protein. The studies that were done to prove high protein was bad for dogs wasn't actually even done on dogs, it was performed on RATS!!! A dog will use whatever protein they need, and the rest gets passed in urine and feces. So you may feed more protein than your dog will use (which means you might be throwing away money?), but you won't hurt your dog.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast