Hill's Science Diet - should I switch his food???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hill's Science Diet - should I switch his food???

sticks1977 is offline Member

DefaultHill's Science Diet - should I switch his food???

Just a bit of background information, I have a chocolate labrador named Fraser and he is coming up to 11 months of age and we have had him mainly on Hill's Science Diet Puppy Large Breed since he has been a puppy. I did some research on this forum today and also via a dog food analysis website and there are lots of people that do not recommend Hill's Science Diet.

Lately though I have been noticing that he may have diarrohea or the runs - not every stool is soft and runny, but the colour is a light to medium brown and some of the more 'fresh' ones do not seem all that healthy...

I live in Melbourne, Australia so a lot of products I do not have access to (such as Orjen?) and have mainly taken the advice of sales assistants in the local pet store as to what food to have Fraser on. Currently we are feeding him 1 cup of dry food (Hill's) in the morning, and then 3/4 cup of dry food (Hill's) and 1/4 cup of wet food (PAL Pedigree Puppy) in the evening.

I went down to the local pet store again the other week and spoke to someone there who seemed to know a lot more about dog food. They recommended to keep him on Hill's and switch his wet food over to Hill's or another brand as PAL was not good for him and would be the cause of the diarrohea. The assistant said to come back in one or two weeks if the situation had not improved - but I still have some worries...

It has only been two days so far, but I was out on poo patrol and there were some firm stools out there, but also some rather sloppy ones as well - the colour of the stools are light to medium brown and are rather soft when I have had to scoop them up... and after reading some posts about Hill's Science Diet I have my worries - never really knew that it was a bad or inferior food - so I have my reservations about feeding it to him.

The products I have access to at the local store are - Nutrience Active, Royal Canin, Purina Pro Plan, Hill's Science Diet, PAL Advance, Eukanuba, Iams and Eagle Pack. I am unsure as to whether one is better than the other, they all seem to have advantages and disadvantages from reviews I have seen...

I have also tried Fraser on Eagle Pack Holistic Large Breed Puppy and he was still having the runs but this may have been due to the PAL Pedigree that he was having at the same time in the afternoon. As mentioned I have only recently switched the wet food over to Hill's so I am unsure of what the cause might be.

Not every stool is soft so I am a little puzzled as to what the problem might be - also it is rather confusing heading into the local pet store to pick a product as there are so many to choose from... any advice from the people here at Just Labradors would be valuable as I am unsure where to start!!!

Thanks in advance and look forward to reading some replies in the coming days...

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hill's Science Diet - should I switch his food???

Of those, I would try him back on the eagle pack (without the wet food). Watch your amounts, as you'll need to feed less of a more nutrient dense food. (check the kcal/cup # to be sure)

If that doesn't work I'd go with Royal Canin, and then proplan/eukanuba/Iams.

Good luck!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

sarah is offline Senior Member

we have Milly on the Hills Science Diet kibble - her poo's are similar to what you are describing but i was just assuming that it was due to her teething as it started as soon as her teething started, she was on the Hills for 4 weeks before that and her poo's were fine!

We did have her on the Eagle Pack too - but she had the runs off and on with that and that was without any wet food. It was awful which is why we switched her.

Don't know if this helps.... I hope that her light coloured poo's aren't due to her diet, I assumed it was teething because of the timing!!

Cheers Sarah
    (from Sydney here!)
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Right now I would not switch him to any new food. I would FIRST take him off the wet food entirely. See if that is the problem.
    If it corrects itself and the poos all firm up, then you can make the choice if you want to change foods for not. Otherwise, just stick with the Hill's. No it is not everyone's favorite food but if he is healthy, let it be.
    But personally, I would stop the wet stuff.
    Kim

kepinkham is offline Junior Member

We had the same problem with our two labs until we stopped giving them the wet food. I would remove the wet stuff first to see if that helps.

goodguy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Of those, I would try him back on the eagle pack (without the wet food). Watch your amounts, as you'll need to feed less of a more nutrient dense food. (check the kcal/cup # to be sure)

If that doesn't work I'd go with Royal Canin, and then proplan/eukanuba/Iams.

Good luck!
    We did Royal Canin LB Puppy as well as RC Lab formula... It was good, sami just has a chicken allergy.. so we switch to Wellness Lamb dealy...

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs
    Right now I would not switch him to any new food. I would FIRST take him off the wet food entirely. See if that is the problem.
    If it corrects itself and the poos all firm up, then you can make the choice if you want to change foods for not. Otherwise, just stick with the Hill's. No it is not everyone's favorite food but if he is healthy, let it be.
    I agree

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs
    +1 I would also not feed puppy formula. And I am wondering if you are not over feeding as that causes the squirts.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I agree he doesn't need the wet food and it could be the problem. I would take him off that if everything firms up and after a few weeks like that you want to try to switch food that's fine but don't do it when his stomach is already upset.
    I've tried our dogs on Eagle Pack and they didn't do well on it but every dog is different and I know some that do great on it. I would either try Eagle Pack or Pro Plan as my first choices out of the ones you listed if you decide to change foods later.

You can also add a little pumpkin to his food to get a little more fiber in his diet it may help with the loose stools.

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

I would have a fecal check for worm and or an over growth of bacteria before trying foods xy & z.
    Alicia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast