weepy eye? check teeth!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weepy eye? check teeth!

Defaultweepy eye? check teeth!

this is the second dog it's happened to.
    Belle seemed a little 'down', not all the time, but often enough to notice.
    then during the weekend i noticed her left eye was just a tad weepy, with a little mucus...could have been 'morning eye'
    i looked for a foreign body, flushed it, didn't find anything.
    could have been the sudden change in the weather, from cold & rainy to Hot & dusty......except for a previous occurence, i would probably ignored it for quite awhile, it was just that minor-looking.
    but a few years ago, our Daisy had the same problem, so today i looked long & hard at the big upper molars, and sure enough, one is cracked right up into the gumline.
    so, extraction surgery is scheduled for friday.
    it is rare, [but not rare enough for me!], for bacteria to enter through the cracked area, which usually results in runaway inflammation of the brain, very difficult to treat.
    so if your pup has a weepy eye that doesn't clear with removal of an object/flushing, look hard at the teeth [especially uppers] and get it taken care of!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: weepy eye? check teeth!

Thanks for the info - might just prove valuable to some of us!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the reminder, QueenOTD. We found out Frankie has a cracked molar back in October. It wasn't "urgent" at the time. I just called and made an appointment to have it checked again.

How would you know if the infection got to the brain anyway?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

i'm not sure how you would know, having thankfully excaped that particular problem all these years [THANKDAWG!!!!!!!!!]
    in humans, there can be seizures, lethargy, confusion, headaches, vomiting, in fact many symptoms, since the brain pretty much controls everything
    the vet explained that, once infected, even intravenous antibiotic therapy has a poor outcome, since so much of the brain gets slow/small amounts of blood--the bacteria merely gets 'knocked back' but not eliminated, then grows again as soon as it can. sure sounds like something to be avoided, doesn't it?

Oh crap.
    Off to search for "canine tooth infection".

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

My lab Travis (deceased) had a cracked molar that we figure eventually led to a blood infection that damaged his kidneys. His last two years were spent managing kidney failure that we think could be traced to that. He had a few instances where his face would swell on one side but by the next day it was gone (we still took him to the vet). These were spread months apart. It wasn't until the third swelling that the vet noticed the cracked molar.
    If we could only change time.

He had a few instances where his face would swell on one side but by the next day it was gone
    That's what my vet drilled into my head after we found the crack. He said if Franks face swelled then the tooth should be removed right away.

IMO i wouldn't want to see the face swelling before i took action, you are then adding one more [BAD!] factor to an already not-good equation.
    extraction is not cheap, but i bet, Far cheaper than fighting an infection & having a tooth extracted while an infection is present. [remember, many human dentists will not do an extraction is there is infection, as it can spead problems thruout the body].
    our Daisy had that huge molar extracted when she was around 8, she never showed any signs of missing it at all.
    i mean, the tooth is not going to magically fix itself, the crack will only worsen with time, bacteria is ever-present, especially in the mouth......

lablover88 is offline Member

So how did you all know that your there was a cracked tooth (aside from the face swelling)? Is this something I should be routinely checking for? I started giving Bailey marrow bones, and it sounds like he's cracking all his teeth when he gnaws on it! :surprise: Would I know if he actually had cracked a tooth?

So how did you all know that your there was a cracked tooth (aside from the face swelling)?
    My vet routinely checks their teeth, mouth, and gums during each exam. He found it.

Frankie's got an appointment for the 3rd so if Dr. H. wants it taken out then we'll take it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast