Anyones Lab have elbows

Thread: Anyones Lab have elbows

JustineNYC Guest

DefaultAnyones Lab have elbows

like this?

His other elbow is worse with the thicker callous I guess cause he favors that side more when he lays. Theyve gradually gotten worse over the last few years. Anyone elses dog have these?

Is there anything I can put on them as far as helping the callous. The dr told me just lotion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JustineNYC Guest

DefaultRe: Anyones Lab have elbows

This is his other leg...

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Bag balm or Mineral Oil works to help soften them.
    Alicia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

Justine,

This is caused by continually putting pressure on the elbows typically by getting up from lying on hard surfaces. Very hard to avoid when your home is full of hard surfaces where they routinely lay down.

I have wall to wall carpeting throughout my home and my 9 year old still has developed some slight elbow callouses.

The lotion won't really help since it doesn't address the root cause.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jlab
    Justine,

This is caused by continually putting pressure on the elbows typically by getting up from lying on hard surfaces. Very hard to avoid when your home is full of hard surfaces where they routinely lay down.

I have wall to wall carpeting throughout my home and my 9 year old still has developed some slight elbow callouses.

The lotion won't really help since it doesn't address the root cause.
    I figured. The doctor said with his weight theyd probably get worse so I was looking for a way to minimize I guess.

During the nicer months I spend most of my time outside with him and my yard is concrete which is probably terrible on them. I can limit him in the house between the couch, crate and bed.....at least he has soft options, but I think its mostly from the yard.

We're going to be moving to a home with grass but I dont know if thatll matter given the fact that hes already 5.

I guess my question is, given his elbows are like that....should I be putting anything on them?

I've used pure vitamin E oil and rub some pure aloe in to, it works really well.

I have seen labs and other breeds with elbows like this, and they seem fine with and and are not in pain. If you're worried see your vet, otherwise if the dog isn't in pain don't worry about it! x