Looking at the dog food in link need help telling if its decent

Thread: Looking at the dog food in link need help telling if its decent

DefaultLooking at the dog food in link need help telling if its decent

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...50075&keepsr=0

The link above is a food that was advice to me by a guy who is in charge of the k-9 police units today while at petsmart...I am currently using Nutro and it seems like everyday its something else with that company and I have found something mix in a nutro dog biscuit.Waiting for a reply now.I found it earlier this week but thought it was just a "bad box" after reading the article on here I'm scared to continue with it..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Looking at the dog food in link need help telling if its decent

I know its suppose to be a higher end food, 3 people I work with feed there pups nothing but BLUE and swear by it. Others here probably know more about it and will give you some good advice! Di

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Here's a review for it:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...ct=531&cat=all

Overall it's not bad.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

More grains than I care to feed as Piper does better grain-free. But I never could find a grain-free large breed puppy food, so I had to compromise on this when she was younger. Otherwise, Blue Buffalo is considered to be a generally good food to my knowledge.

well after doing my research I was going to go with blue but I got to our local petsmart and all they had was blue senior..I compaired food to what I thought was right(stupid rep there talk me into it) and went with Science diet..I WAS WRONG..I know that now but I got a very small pack(5 pounds I think) so I guess I'll let the lady next door take it to feed the ducks with.I came home and looked at the review page to the person who posted that your a HUGE help and was surprized to see this:
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=1247&cat=7 I assumed the Ec..whatever it is, was a great food since alot here use it but the label listed alot of by products so I passed it up and now i see its on the one star list just like pedigree and so on..So back to the store I go..now I know what I want and that the local feed store SUPPOSE to have it so we will see..I've been given two ideas to try but neither the feed store or pet store has it and i looked online and its not within a 60 mile radius.

I posted this in the Nutro thread, but I'll add it here as well:

I assume you still need a puppy food and not an adult food? Blue Buffalo, Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul, Eagle Pack Holistic Select, and Innova are all pretty commonly available, all are considered fairly good brands of kibble (of course, individual results may vary), and all have large breed puppy versions. I think they are all a bit more expensive than Nutro, but if you check the feeding guidelines you may find you can feed less of them, making up for the cost difference.

On the food review site posted to, I believe these are all around 4 stars. The 5 and 6 star foods on there are mostly grain-free, and I never was able to find a grain-free large breed puppy food local to me. As for the less-starred foods, remember that all dogs react to a food differently and some dogs do just fine (or better) on those foods. Piper did just fine on what I consider to be medium-quality foods, but does much better on grain-free and even a bit better than that on raw.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Also Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Oh, and one that isn't available near me but appears to be an excellent choice is Orijen Puppy Large. You can find the store locator at http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/ if you want to check this out. According the the website, this food is 70% human-grade meats and 30% fruits/vegetables.

ok so here the issue I got..I have looked up most the foods listed and seems my options are ones that come from petsmart or ordering online..Anyone ever ordered online? Decent companys? Looking today I have seen a difference in price from 5-50 bucks in different shops per the same food.I was just wondering if anyone has a company they use?