Apples??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apples??

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultApples??

Are apples ok for dogs? One of my sons gave alfie an apple the other day (they didnt want anymore grr) he played with it for ages pouncing on it and then finally ate it...since then my hubby has given him a couple of cores to chew on but im not sure..are they ok for him?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Apples??

I don't know about the seeds, but apples slices are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    I don't know about the seeds, but apples slices are fine.
    Phewww he really loves them! <a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http...rof/page.html" target="_blank>

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I believe that the seeds can be toxic but I can't imagine they will hurt in small volumes. Altough, to be on the safe side, you might want to pick the seeds out. Other than that the actual apple is fine. Just be careful not to overfeed them as they will cause loose stools.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I believe that the seeds can be toxic but I can't imagine they will hurt in small volumes. Altough, to be on the safe side, you might want to pick the seeds out. Other than that the actual apple is fine. Just be careful not to overfeed them as they will cause loose stools.
    he has one a week at most..i will remember to take seeds out though thank you

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I researched the apple seeds because our Shadow adored apples, and would steal several a day from the neighbor's tree. What I learned is that it would take a very large amount of seeds to be toxic, AND they would have to be crushed. Because dogs don't chew their food well, the seeds go in whole and come out the same way, so they are not a worry.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Dani is offline Senior Member

Apples are fine. And it does take a lot of seeds to be toxic for a lab....for a small dog, not much, but for a lab....
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

They're just as dangerous to us as to dogs, which is to say not very. Actually, they're probably more dangerous to us because we chew more. Fortunately, it takes a HUGE amount of amygdalin (the sugar in the seed that releases cyanide when broken down) to cause problems. The seeds have a hard shell that isn't broken down in the stomach. That's the point of fruit producing plants. They make a product attractive to animals, they eat it, and then crap it out later leaving the seed in a nice pile of fertilizer. Voila, the tree just increased it's chances at successful reproduction.

Unless you're feeding a cup of apple seeds run through the food processor (as Jackie was alluding to), I wouldn't be worried.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I work in the WA apple industry as a consultant and do A LOT of harvest timing work for the major producers--- which means I bring in A LOT of apples here. Once I'm done w/ the testing, they are cut and then disposed of to dry at the bottom of my acreage. Suffice to say that my dogs (6 in total) eat several apples a day in the fall and winter months and have never been bothered. They make a beeline after breakfast to have some "dessert". It looks like a pack of Coyotes live here based on the "poo" (can you say, Chunky?), but that's the only side effect thus far and I've been doing this for as long as I've had labs (16 yrs).

Hydrogen cyanide is present in the seeds, but as the others indicate, the dogs would have to grind them up to extract the HCN. Most of the time, the seeds just fall out of the cavity, and if they are swallowed, they are swallowed whole. Dogs' digestive systems are fast enough that the seed coat would not be digested so seeds are passed whole. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

my dog loves apple slices, bananas and carrots - we use these are treats instead of dog food type treats as we try to keep her weight down. The only thing she won't touch are onions... :whatever:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast