patellar luxation

Thread: patellar luxation

kepinkham is offline Junior Member

Defaultpatellar luxation

patellar luxation anyone? seems like that is what our 1 1/2 year old male has according to our vet.

just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this, surgery, no surgery, helpful hints?!?

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: patellar luxation

I know a few people whose labs have had it (pretty severely- grade 3-4)...all but one had surgery, and they all had great luck with it. Before surgery, the dogs would quite often really have problems with their knees "locking up" and most of them would scream in pain when it would happen. So sad!

MPL (medial patellar luxation, though it can also be lateral patellar luxation, or LPL) is one of the latest recognized labrador orthopedic problems (though one that has been around for years and years), and one that definitely tends to be inherited, though not always. In the cases above, 3 of the cases I know personally came from the same litter (which, by the way, was a champion showdog bred to a champion showdog, neither of which had any patellar problems, so that particular litter wasn't due to any lack of health clearances on the part of the very reputable breeder involved). Unfortunately, sometimes even when things look great on paper, mother nature comes in and shows us what can still happen.

There is a Yahoo group called "orthodogs" where the many members may be able to provide you with a lot of personal experience about MPL's and their surgical correction.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

kepinkham is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: patellar luxation

thank you for your reply CaliforniaLabLover. My husband and I can pop the the knee cap back in, and Bo doesn't seem to really ever be in pain. So we will wait to see what happens.