more affordable glucosamine/chondroitin?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more affordable glucosamine/chondroitin?

Defaultmore affordable glucosamine/chondroitin?

My 6 year old golden retriever is starting to show some signs of possible arthrtis. Today we were at the river for a doggy play date and she got tangled up in her leash. I lifted her back leg to untangle her and she yelped, which is very unusual for her. Our vet said to start her on some glucosamine and chondroitin. The ones from the vet are pretty expensive though. Where do you guys buy your G&C from? Are there any less expensive sources?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: more affordable glucosamine/chondroitin?

I buy mine at the grocery store. I know Sam's Club, Walmart, Costco carry it too.

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

The unfortunate thing about glucosamine/chondroitin supplements is that they're not governmentally regulated, which means that the cheaper versions can often have far less of the active ingredients than needed for the supplement to be effective. It's unfortunately one of those things where you pretty much get what you pay for. Just make sure that whatever version you buy has a guaranteed minimum concentration analysis for active ingredients.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Go to your public library and look in Consumer Reports magazine. Check their index for evaluations of G&C -- they did one several years ago and the "Kirkland" G&C (sold only at Costco) was rated number one for potency as well as low price. Most public libraries will have bound copies of older issues. Kirkland G&C is what my Puff and I use.

But CR listed several other brands that were close -- and some to avoid.

"Kirkland" is the name for the house/store brand at Costcos just as "Kenmore" and "Craftsman" is for Sears.

Costco is a member warehouse club like Sam's Club is but (IMO) many of the products they sell are slightly better quality. One drawback is it takes an annual membership fee; another, for me, is that it's a 140 mile drive to get there and back. The Costco benefits (IMO) include that so many things are so much better and cheaper than available other places, e.g., their house brand: G&C, dog food, mixed nuts, clothing, athletic shoes, fresh salmon, etc.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We use the Costco version when I get there...I use grocery store brands and have not noticed a problem. If you buy a good brand, it shouldn't be an issue.

If your dog yelped though at getting untangled from the leash, I wonder if arthritis is the problem. What did the vet do to determine this? If your dog continues to have issues, you'll need an xray.

labby is offline Senior Member

I use Costco for my dogs.

Laura

Another Costco (Kirkland brand) user here, too.

We haven't done an x-ray, we will be having her check up this week so we'll know more then.

I just went to Consumer Reports website and checked. Costco's Kirkland brand was rated #1, it has the highest concentrations of G&C and the most pills per bottle. This was also a comment on it...

"Costs just 25 cents a day. If you keep taking the pills, the savings on this product alone would recoup Costco's annual $45 basic membership fee in 10 months or less."

I normally use Cosamin DS (human version of what our vet sells and much cheaper) for the dogs if you watch for it buy one get one free. If I can't find it I will use the Triflex which I can normally also get BOGO a lot of times. We don't have a Costco around here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast