2008 RABIES Vaccine-JAVMA Report on Adverse Reactions in Dogs!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 RABIES Vaccine-JAVMA Report on Adverse Reactions in Dogs!

Kris L. Christine is offline Senior Member

Default2008 RABIES Vaccine-JAVMA Report on Adverse Reactions in Dogs!

2008 REPORT ON RABIES VACCINE ADVERSE REACTIONS IN DOGS

The Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association has published a report in its April 1, 2008 issue, Vol. 232, No. 7, entitled: Postmarketing Surveillance of Rabies Vaccines for Dogs to Evaluate Safety and Efficacy."

Despite the extreme under-reporting of vaccinal adverse reactions, this report states on the second page that between April 1, 2004 and March 31, 2007, the Center for Veterinary Biologics, "nearly 10,000 adverse event reports (all animal species) were received by manufacturers of rabies vaccines..........Approximately 65% of the manufacturer's reports involved dogs."

The report further states on the second page that: "Rabies vaccines are the most common group of biological products identified in adverse event reports received by the CVB," and they give the following description of the adverse reaction followed by the % of dogs affected: Vomiting-28.1%, Facial Swelling-26.3%, Injection Site Swelling or Lump-19.4%, Lethargy-12%, Urticaria-10.1%, Circulatory shock-8.3%, Injection site pain-7.4%, Pruritus-7.4%, Injection site alopecia or hair loss-6.9%, Death-5.5%, Lack of Consciousness-5.5, Diarrhea-4.6%, Hypersensitivity (not specified)-4.6%, Fever-4.1%, Anaphylaxis-2.8%, Ataxia-2.8%, Lameness-2.8%, General signs of pain-2.3%, Hyperactivity-2.3%, Injection site scab or crust-2.3%, Muscle tremor-2.3%, Tachycardia-2.3%, and Thrombocytopenia-2.3%.

Veterinarians are not required by law to report adverse reactions to vaccines, to which the World Small Animal Veterinary Association stated in their 2007 Vaccine Guidelines that there is: "gross under-reporting of vaccine-associated adverse events which impedes knowledge of the ongoing safety of these products," and in an article entitled, A New Approach to Reporting Medication and Device Adverse Effects and Product Problems, (JAMA - June 2, 1993. Vol.269, No.21. p.2785) Dr. David Kessler, former head of the Food & Drug Administration, reported that "only about 1% of serious events are reported to the FDA."

In light of the 10,000 adverse reactions to the rabies vaccine in the JAVMA report, 65% of which were in dogs, the estimated 1% reporting of "serious" events by the former head of the FDA means that the actual number of dogs that had adverse reactions to the vaccine would be more like 650,000!!!!!

World Small Animal Veterinary Association 2007 Vaccine Guidelines http://www.wsava.org/SAC.htm Scroll down to Vaccine Guidelines 2007 (PDF)

A New Approach to Reporting Medication and Device Adverse Effects and Product Problems http://www.vaccinationnews.com/Adverse_Reactions/VAERS/credible_estimates.htm Scroll down to David Kessler statement in JAMA - June 2, 1993,vol.269, No.21, p.2785
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee
    The Rabies Challenge Fund
    www.RabiesChallengeFund.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 2008 RABIES Vaccine-JAVMA Report on Adverse Reactions in Dogs!

only 43 views.... I'm bumping this back to page 1.....
    more folk really, really should see this.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

DefaultHow Often Does He REALLY Need a Rabies Shot--Link to Article

Thank you, Talley Judy!

More information specifically on the rabies vaccine can be found at the following links if you are interested to learn more:

Animal Wellness Magazine Article Vol. 8 Issue 6, How Often Does he REALLY Need A Rabies Shot Animal Wellness Magazine - devoted to natural health in animals

The Rabies Challenge Animal Wise Radio Interview
    Listen to Animal Wise (scroll down to The Rabies Challenge 12/9/07)

The Vaccine Challenge Animal Talk Naturally Online Radio Show » The Vaccine Challenge - Show #91

US Declared Canine-Rabies Free -- CDC Announces at Inaugural World Rabies Day Symposium CDC Press Release - September 7, 2007
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRabies Shot Killed my Poodle--Channel 5 News

Channel 5 News WCVB Boston Woman: Rabies Shot Killed my Poodle May 28, 2008

http://www.thebostonchannel.com:80/n...ss=bos&taf=bos
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee

I thank God that we don't rearly suffer from Rabies in the UK

Mike

Indeed, you are very fortunate. Handsome dog!
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee

sorry, but i think we all need to get a little more real here...the vast majority of these cited reactions are VERY low incidence [single-digit] and some, like the ''injection-site lump'' are common to ALL shots, in humans too.
    and quite a few, IMO, might be put down to other causes...kind of like when you read the fine print on medicines You take....does it Really cause 'sore throat' [or whatever]? or was it just a sore throat that came, like they sometimes do, when the drug was being field-tested, and thus had to be reported/recorded? in addition, you have the 'middleman' of the owner reporting these reactions, the dog isn't giving actual information, so the real incidence of these things may be very much LESS than given.
    legislation and other efforts might make it possible to do 'titers' instead of simply getting the shots, although titers are Quite expensive, and involve needles as well.
    on a personal note, having been bitten by a dog whose owner took 4 WEEKS to supply actual documentation of rabies vaccination, [i was not really willing to 'just take her word for it'] i can tell you, thinking you might be going to die in an unpleasant way is a big downside [!!!!!]
    the bottom line is, if you do NOT vaccinate as per law, and your dog happens to even gently break someone's skin, in this state they send the dog's HEAD to the pathology lab!

Castaway is offline Senior Member

A friend of mines 12 year (very healthy) cocker spaniel died of hemolytic anaemia which started a very short time after the rabies shot that she had to have to travel to Greece.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

DefaultRabies Shot Killed my Poodle

Castaway,

Auto-immune Hemolytic Anemia is one of the documented adverse reactions to vaccination (Duval D., Giger U.Vaccine-Associated Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia in the Dog, Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 1996; 10:290-295).

queenofthedogs,

According to the The Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association's report Death was reported in 5.5% of the dogs suffering adverse reactions to rabies vaccination and declares that 6,500 adverse reactions to the rabies vaccine in dogs were reported to vaccine manufacturers, meaning 357.5 of the 6,500 dogs died. If that represents the 1% of serious vaccine adverse events that Dr. David Kessler, former head of the Food & Drug Administration, states get reported to the FDA, then the actual number of deaths would be 35,750.

Again, the point being that there are significant adverse reactions associated with the rabies vaccine and they should not be given any more often than is necessary to maintain immunity.

What is needed to fix the situation is rabies immunization laws based on science demonstrating long-term duration of immunity to the rabies vaccine by challenge so that dogs are not required to have rabies boosters any more often than is necessary to maintain immunity -- which will protect the human population as well as them.

This becomes more interesting in drawing the analogy with human rabies vaccination. If you click on this link http://www.theodora.com/drugs/rabies...rt_chiron.html for the Populations at Risk for Rabies sheet from Chiron Corporation, manufacturers of the RabAvert rabies vaccines for humans. Their pre-exposure vaccination recommendation for veterinarians, who are at greater risk than the general population for contracting rabies because their profession brings them into physical contact with potentially rabid animals, is for a “Primary course. No serologic testing or booster vaccination.” In other words, after the initial series of rabies vaccinations, it is not recommended that veterinarians receive further boosters or serological testing.

The American Animal Hospital Association's 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines http://www.leerburg.com/special_report.htm reports on Page 18 that “There is no indication that the immune system of canine patients functions in any way different from the human immune system. In humans, the epidemiological vigilance associated with vaccination is extremely well-developed and far exceeds similar efforts in animals whether companion or agricultural. This vigilance in humans indicates that immunity induced by vaccination in humans is extremely long lasting and, in most cases, life-long.” This strongly suggests that, like the human rabies vaccine, the canine rabies vaccine may provide life-long immunity as well -- something which could be determined by long-term challenge studies.

A titer of 1:5 is considered adequate to confer immunity in humans and dogs, yet our dogs are required to be repeatedly boostered with the rabies vaccine no matter what their titer count is. At the age of 9, my Meadow qualified for a medical exemption under the law due to his metasticized cancer. He hadn't had a rabies booster since he was 6 years old and he had a titer count of 1:5,8000 -- more than 1,000 times the level at which he would be considered protected.

Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee

Castaway is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kris L. Christine
    Castaway,

Auto-immune Hemolytic Anemia is one of the documented adverse reactions to vaccination (Duval D., Giger U.Vaccine-Associated Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia in the Dog, Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 1996; 10:290-295).
    I didnt have a point of reference such as that, but that was my point.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast