2008 RABIES Vaccine-JAVMA Report on Adverse Reactions in Dogs! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 RABIES Vaccine-JAVMA Report on Adverse Reactions in Dogs!

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 2008 RABIES Vaccine-JAVMA Report on Adverse Reactions in Dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by queenofthedogs

legislation and other efforts might make it possible to do 'titers' instead of simply getting the shots, although titers are Quite expensive, and involve needles as well.
    1. Needles aren't the issue here
    2. Doesn't matter if titers are expensive
    3. It's not "simply getting the shots" ... it's a medical procedure with risks involved

in addition, you have the 'middleman' of the owner reporting these reactions, the dog isn't giving actual information, so the real incidence of these things may be very much LESS than given.
    Actually, the average owner or "middleman" is inclined to miss these reactions or not notice them...could be as simple as a fever, runny stool, swelling...or as complex as IBD or autoimmune issues that happen later on. I'm sure a lot of dogs don't get taken to a vet, and if they do, the vet will find other causes rather than the vaccine. So the real incidence of these things may be very much MORE than given, therefore reactions get underreported.

the bottom line is, if you do NOT vaccinate as per law, and your dog happens to even gently break someone's skin, in this state they send the dog's HEAD to the pathology lab!
    Actually, bottom line here is that this law needs to change and be based on science. Many canine immunizations have been proven to be effective for at least 7 years, if not a lifetime.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

in no way am i arguing that rabies, or any other, shots should be given for no reason!
    science marches on, in this & many areas, thank dawg, and we should certainly take advantage of any & all progress/new information.
    however, i am not personally willing to risk a headless dog....i would much prefer he/she felt lousy for a few days. [ideally, neither would occur, but this IS the real world.]
    so what i am saying is, let's all be smart & obey the law until such time as they are changed, and not work ourselves into knot over what we currently cannot avoid. changing the law using scientific data in a mature way IS the right thing to do--the use of multiple, repeated exclamation marks in many of these posts suggests to me [and many others] a less-than-reasoned response.
    we tend to forget the terrible toll taken by viral diseases, such as smallpox, measles, polio, rabies, etc etc just a short time ago...i'm pretty sure nobody wants to go back to those days!

i cannot figure out why parts of my above post have lines through them.
    i did NOT mean to remove them, and have tried 4 times to correct/remove them.
    does anybody have a clue?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

in no way am i arguing that rabies, or any other, shots should be given for no reason!
    science marches on, in this & many areas, thank dawg, and we should certainly take advantage of any & all progress/new information.
    Agreed on this. And I too follow this law on rabies...I just wish I only had to give one shot entirely...not every 3 years....and it's definitely ridiculous to give it every year.

Kris L. Christine is offline Senior Member

Tia,

It is interesting that you mention subtle adverse reactions that dog owners may not recognize as vaccinal adverse reactions.

Regarding the number of overall adverse reactions to the rabies vaccine, Dr. W. Jean Dodds states that "It has been estimated that the adverse reaction rate of serious nature to rabies vaccinations is in the order of 0.38- 0.50% , with another 1-3% of vaccinates experiencing less severe reactions of the millions of dogs that must be vaccinated by law annually."

Based on the American Veterinary Medical Association's estimate of 72 million dogs in the country, if all of them receive the rabies vaccinations required by law, that would translate into 273,600 to 360,000 dogs having an adverse reaction of a serious nature to the vaccine with another 720,000 to 2,160,000 dogs experiencing less severe reactions.

There will always be a threat of rabies from the UNvaccinated canine population, which I have seen estimates of ranging from 29% to 40%. Overvaccinating the dogs of law-abiding citizens will do nothing to address that problem. Even with that large a body of non-compliance, the documented cases of rabies in dogs is at a very low level, and chances are that those dogs with documented cases had not received two properly administered rabies vaccinations.

An article by Margo B. Maloney, DVM entitled RABIES in the February 2008 issue of Versatile Hunting Dog reports "..in the United States today, rabies in domesticated animals and humans has fallen to a very low level...........Cats are more commonly involved in exposures than dogs because cats interact more with wildlife, and cat control and rabies immunization regulations are more difficult to enforce, if not entirely different.....Humans are relatively resistant to clinical disease. The risk of developing rabies following the bite by a proven rabid dog is estimated to be about 15% without post-exposure treatment." Further, "Although it remains a zoonotic (illness transmitted from animal to man) threat in the United States today, rabies in domesticated animals and humans has fallen to a very low level: from 1990 to 2005, there was an average of 3 human cases of rabies reported annually in the U.S."
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee
    The Rabies Challenge Fund
    www.RabiesChallengeFund.org

''Humans are relatively resistant to clinical disease. The risk of developing rabies following the bite by a proven rabid dog is estimated to be about 15% without post-exposure treatment."
    are you saying that even if bitten, and UNtreated, my risk is ''only'' 15%?
    because i have checked [remember, i was bitten!] very carefully, and Untreated rabies results in 100% fatality. [actually, i believe in the entire literature there was ONE person who contracted rabies, and 'survived'...the convulsions in the later stages broke almost every bone in their body, including some in the spine, and they were afflicted for the rest of their life with both severe physical & mental residuals.]

''Humans are relatively resistant to clinical disease. The risk of developing rabies following the bite by a proven rabid dog is estimated to be about 15% without post-exposure treatment."
    are you saying that even if bitten, and UNtreated, my risk is ''only'' 15%?
    because i have checked [remember, i was bitten!] very carefully, and Untreated rabies results in 100% fatality. [actually, i believe in the entire literature there was ONE person who contracted rabies, and 'survived'...the convulsions in the later stages broke almost every bone in their body, including some in the spine, and they were afflicted for the rest of their life with both severe physical & mental residuals.]
    Dr. Maloney states that, not I. Personally, I wouldn't run the risk of going untreated as rabies is nearly 100% fatal. Actually there have been a few survivors -- a teenaged girl in the midwest, a scientist working with rabies, and another that I know of. Survived, yes, but not the same.

Dr. Maloney is saying that the risk of developing rabies if you are bitten is about 15%; however, she does not say anything about the fatality rate if a human is in the 15% of those developing the disease. Her statement concerns the risk of contracting, not surviving, the disease.
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee

DefaultAdverse Events

Arkansas Veterinary Medical Association http://www.arkvetmed.org/new.html
    RABIES VACCINATIONS
    New Recommendations

Recommendations for maintaining adequate pre-exposure immunization status: A routine booster every two years is NOT recommended since the newer cell culture vaccines often confer adequate antibody levels for 5 to 8 years and risk of adverse reactions is increased by frequent boosters. The standard pre-exposure recommendation for veterinarians practicing in an area with enzootic rabies is serologic testing every two years with booster vaccination when the antibody titer falls below the acceptable level, i.e. 1:5 by RFFIT.
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee

Castaway is offline Senior Member

I havent had time to post recently but am so angry at myself. My vet makes home vists and came to give Checka (YF8mths) her first course of vaccinations at 3 months. I had told him I did not want Rabies, to be fair that was on the first visit... (Greek vets dont make notes, or keep records other than Dogs health book) so when he came for last set of shots he gave her rabies together with other shots! I regret that he helpfully came to me at work, and when I got busy he just got on with the job, so I accept some responsibility here... it was not until 4 days later when she was running a fever of 41c and started to exhibit pain in all her joints that I made the connection and checked. Of course he refused to make a connection, I was VERY angry that rabies had also been given at the same time as the other shot...as I understand there should be 14 days gap before administering Rabies. It resulted in a frank exchange of opinions where I told him that there was none so blind as those that wont see. I also quoted the human instance of the sad death of my brother in law due to an adverse reaction to a pain killer, Nimesulide commonly sold over the counter here,he develpoed hemolytic anemia.I belivieve it is not licenced for sale in the US, it is a drug regularly presribed by doctors here for pain, despite the evidence it causes hemolytic anemia kidney and liver failure..... the vet had the grace to say he would try and keep an open mind. I hate myself for allowing this to happen just because I was busy. She is thankfully fine now but any autoimmune problem that ever shows up now I will blame on the rabies jab.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

Castaway,

Don't blame yourself, you should have had that information disclosed to you by your veterinary care provider. You know better now and will make sure any future rabies boosters for Checka are given separately.

Kris
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast