Deworming adult Labs

Thread: Deworming adult Labs

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultDeworming adult Labs

The vet has suggested we have Jack, Baby Girl and Tina dewormed once a year. Never heard of that before we moved to Hampton Roads, VA. Tina is 14, Jack 11 and Baby about 10. We have deer, rabbits, ducks, gulls, heron and some other critters that leave a buffet in the yard for the kids. I have not seen any evidence of worms, in their stool but the vet says it is something that should be done every year using Drontal Plus.

Is this something that needs to be done or is it a revenue stream for the vet?
    Thanks
    LD

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Deworming adult Labs

I think it depends on where you live. I am not in what I consider a heavy worm area, but was disgusted years ago when I saw what one of my new moms expelled when wormed along w/ her 3 wk old litter! Since I have it on hand, I now deworm mine w/ pyrantel every 4 mos or so because I know they hunt gophers and mice in my field and in reality, I have it on hand, and it's CHEAP! I've recently had rabbits around too. However, pyrantel (one component in Drontal Plus) won't catch whips or tapes. Rabbits and mice are carriers of tapes, and recently removed a rabbit from Jazzy's grasp that I believe she stole from a redtail hawk having lunch on my property.

About 2 wks ago, I saw tape segs on Jazzy's butt!!!! :vomit: :embarrass: She had just been in for her rabies and exam and I had 2 more to take in, so got a chewable Drontal Plus for her--- $35!!!!! :surprise: I told myself, okay, so it catches everything and I didn't have to wait for a mail order to come... but still $35 is ridiculous for a single dose. In the meantime, I figured I'd best watch the others, and wasn't terribly surprised when her 9 yo mom showed up w/ tapes too. Needless to say, I took the $35 and ordered *6* doses of tapeworm med (D-worm... same active ingredient as the tape portion of Drontal Plus). She is now treated and I have a supply for who ever is next.... because if 2 have had it, I'm pretty sure to see it again. I used to always have to do tape worm med on my field cats.

The long story short, I'd do a stool check before spending the big bucks on Drontal Plus or anything $$$$. Why treat if there are no worms? With tapes, all the literature says it has very little if any impact on the health of canines, so I'd only treat when evidence presents itself. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

I would have a fecal checked every year by your vet, but tape worms you can see on the stool or on there rears. Other than that I would not treat them. My guys get Iverhart plus once a month year round that treats for Heartworms, roundworms and hookworms.
    Alicia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

What do you give for heartworm preventative? I give my boys interceptor and it worms for hooks, roundworm, and whip worms every 45 days. I won't worm otherwise.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

I don't know.... they are all seniors.... worming is hard on the liver which has to clear those poisons from their systems.

My Auggie is 12 now and for myself, I would have to have proof that it was necessary: positive stool sample and/or other prominent symptoms of worm infestation...
    (and Auggie is not on any type of hear worm preventative - so far she has been negative for heart worm every Spring for the last several years)
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks everybody.
    They get Heartgard plus every month.I have not wormed them because I have not seen any evedience they needed it.
    LD

My dogs get Interceptor ever 40 days or so which as Dani said protects against Heartworms, hooks, roundworm, and whip worms. Other than that I would not worm them without proof that there are worms present. Especially for a senior.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't worm without a reason to. I don't even know if I would do annual fecal tests. I didn't even want to worm my puppies, since I see no evidence of worms in Mom or the pups, but people expect it, so we're doing it.

labby is offline Senior Member

I would only worm for symptoms.

Laura