inner digital cyst

Thread: inner digital cyst

Defaultinner digital cyst

Hi I am new to this site and have a question. I have had labs all my life and love everything about them. Right now I have a three year old black lab. His name is Gunner. He is the sweetest dog you could ever want. I am having a problem with inner digital cysts. He had one this passed August that we had to surgically removed. The vet I was taking him to had no clue what it was. So I saw a different vet and he is the one who told me what it was. About two months ago we discovered another one on the opposite foot. We opted not to have surgery because we were getting a rott puppy and we knew it would not be the wise thing to do so we treated him with antibiotics. It went away and hasn't come back. The other day I found another one on a different spot on his foot. I have never had this happen with any of my labs but the vet said this is very common in labs.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue. Is there something I can do to help prevent them from coming back?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gunners mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: inner digital cyst

One of my girls used to get these when she was younger but we haven't had a problem with them for a number of years. I saw this on another forum and maybe it could help? You may want to check with your vet if you have any questions. http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/976632990/fetch/706024/
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

WOW - will thry this myself - I've tried everything else known to god and man for the poor love!

And - Gunner05 - some labs are more prone to these than others - we've gone thru surgery, allergy testing, a drug called atopica (allergy to own hair folicles) soaking, etc with my problem child, and nothing works forever with him (he's 5 1/2)

While I will never be able to prove it - I'm starting to think it goes back to his puppy vac's and the reaction he had to lepto shot....compromised his immune system perhaps?

Good luck - and if it's a tiny one just starting, soaking in epsome salts does help!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BoatDog
    WOW - will thry this myself - I've tried everything else known to god and man for the poor love!
    Please post and let us know your results.
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

I will - just started him on it yesterday. Thanks!

lablover88 is offline Member

What does the cyst look/feel like? I just found something on my lab's back paw in between his pads. I thought it might be a wart, but I'm really just guessing.

Thanks!

They are in between the pads and they usually feel round, sort of like a little pebble and usually are filled with fluid. Sometimes they will burst and drain on their own and they usually keep coming back.