Neutering
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutering

mosmama is offline Senior Member

QuestionNeutering

Is there a certain age/weight you should neuter, that is the best time? I know all vets and people have different opinions, but I'd like to know the disadvantages of neutering.
    I had Mo Man neutered when he was 3. I think I waited too long, but God rest his soul, he was PERFECT.

Limo will be neutered sooner, but I never hear of the disadvantages. I do know the advantages.
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Why do you think you waited too long with your previous dog?

If you are willing to be 100% responsible all the time, its better to wait longer.

There are several side effects of neutering early, and several (mostly training) side effects of not neutering early.

Find what is a comfort level for you.

What are the side effects?
    of both?
    Mo

The Love of My Life

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Neutering before a dog is fully grown (12-18 months) can result in a dog growing taller than he would have gotten to be normally as the growth plates close more slowly in the absence of hormones. This in turn can leave the dog more prone to orthopedic problems.

Never neutering can cause not only potential behavioral issues but some higher incidence of cancer I am told. Waiting the 6 - 12 months extra should not put the dog at greater risk, but really does require more vigilance on the part of the owner.

Most vets want neutering/spaying to happen at 6 months to eliminate any opportunity for breeding. This is a public health approach - it is for the greater good that unwanted breedings are avoided and shelter populations should be reduced.

When an owner is scrupulously responsible and carefully monitors their intact dog to avoid allowing them to breed, then waiting the extra time is better for the individual dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Very interesting! Why would the vets push you into neutering sooner, then?

My vet knows I have no intention on breeding.
    Mo

The Love of My Life

LIMO

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mosmama View Post
    Very interesting! Why would the vets push you into neutering sooner, then?

My vet knows I have no intention on breeding.

Early spay and neuter for the majority of pet owners who are not involved, aware and responsible (which is most pet owners) makes sense from a public health (greater good) point of view. Not the best thing for the individual dog -but the best thing for anyone who cares about controlling and reducing unwanted reproduction.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

scutter is offline Senior Member

Defaultwhen to spay

I just had the same experience. I have a 6 month old female and the vet wants to spay asap. The breeder says wait until she has her first cycle as she will develop better. The vet agreed that waiting unit her first cycle allows her to develop more fully. My dog is a small female at 6 months (38 lbs) and I want her to have every opportunity to develop fully.

I have found that vets and breeders have completely different opinions on spaying and neutering.

Thanks

Scutter

Thanks! I've decided I am going to wait it out a bit. I don't think I'll wait as long as I did with my Mo Man (3 yrs). He was "well indoud" and it took awhile for the swelling to go down

I only want what is best for Limo. I don't want to do something too soon and then have problems later. Right now with his "teenage years" starting is enough for me to handle
    Mo

The Love of My Life

LIMO

lablover88 is offline Member

I have questions on this subject too. My little guy is 7 1/2 months. I am waiting to neuter. I was thinking 9 months, but I may wait longer. I also have a 5 year old lab that we neutered at 6 mo because we didn't know any better. So, I'm not sure what to expect here in waiting longer to neuter. Right now, I don't notice any different behavior issues with him. My only concern at this point is the procedure. Will it be more painful for him the longer I wait? Will the recovery period be longer the longer I wait? Are there any risks in waiting to neuter beyond the normal 6 mo? Any thoughts appreciated. I'm nervous that I'm going to hurt him or make it harder on him by waiting to neuter. I'm sure I'm needlessly worrying!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast