My Lab needs help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Lab needs help

DefaultMy Lab needs help

Ok I am new here and not sure if this is the right topic forum for this. If not I am sorry.

The problem is my lab Buddy is 6 years old this Oct. He has been acting strange for the past couple days. Very uneasy as in he has been growling more, and barking more, and seems very tense. Today he would not get out of my truck after a short ride. I am unsure what to do. I know he needs his annaul shots and check up. I just got the notice in the mail last week. I am going to schedule that this week.

I know he has seperation anxiety from me. Any time I leave the house and don't put him in his kennel in the house. I come home to my sheets and pillow tore up from him.

I also know that he has hip displacia (spelling).

I am very concerned about buddy. I am scared the time is coming when I have to make that choice. He has been my best friend for 6 years.

When he sleeps he snores, and sometimes sounds like he is whistling. When this happens I notice that his body is shaking. I wake him up and talk to him. Because I am fearing that when he sleeps like that maybe he is having a bad dream.

I really don't know what to do can someone give me advice or maybe someone that has dealt with the same thing tell me what to do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My Lab needs help

Most of your post I think I am too much of a doggy newbie to really help. One thing that stood out for me though is

ery uneasy as in he has been growling more, and barking more, and seems very tense
    Has Buddy been neutered already?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Yes he was nuetered when he was a puppy. Sorry I forgot that in my original posting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

Have you spoken to your vet about Buddy? It sounds to me like there could be a bit of pain going on for him which you need to get checked out!

My dog does the snoring, shaking, air-biting, growling sleep thing. I guess I don't think that this sounds to strange, unless it's something he's never done before?

I wouldn't wait until needle time to seek professional medical advice

cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I too would get him vet checked for pain. But I wouldn't worry too much about the noise and dreaming at night. Dogs (like us) tend to sleep noisier as we age. And I suspect that dogs (like us) need REM sleep (dreaming) for good health. Waking him up during that could be making him cranky. Heck...he could be having a great time chasing rabbits for all we know...or maybe he's about to make mince meat out of the bully down the street!.
    Good Luck

Very uneasy as in he has been growling more, and barking more, and seems very tense. Today he would not get out of my truck after a short ride.
    This might be due to pain. Also, have his thyroid checked. Some dogs experience behavior changes if they are hypothyroid. Hypothyroidism is very common in labs. If he does have it, very simple and inexpensive to treat, 2 pills a day.

I know he needs his annaul shots and check up.
    Dogs no longer need annual shots. A lot of vets are going to a 3-year plan. Over vaccination can cause problems. If you vets still insists on yearly shots, find another vet.
    LINK #1

LINK #2

I also know that he has hip displacia (spelling).

I am very concerned about buddy. I am scared the time is coming when I have to make that choice. He has been my best friend for 6 years.
    There are lot of dogs out there with hip dysplasia who live long, comfortable lives. There are a lot of joint supplements available to make your dog have a better quality of life. Also, if your dog is overweight, get the weight off of him and keep him lean. So much better for him and his joints.

I know he has seperation anxiety from me. Any time I leave the house and don't put him in his kennel in the house. I come home to my sheets and pillow tore up from him.
    I'm not quite sure if this is an anxiety issue. It may be that he has never learned to be uncrated, unsupervised.

When he sleeps he snores, and sometimes sounds like he is whistling. When this happens I notice that his body is shaking. I wake him up and talk to him. Because I am fearing that when he sleeps like that maybe he is having a bad dream.
    Like the others have said, I wouldn't worry about this too much. My dog even barks a little bit every now and then when he is dreaming. Don't wake him up.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

He's 6. You won't have to make "that choice" anytime soon, I'm sure. Has he had surgery already for the displaysia? I'm thinking, like others have said, that the growling, etc. is due to the fact that he's in pain. Talk to your vet. I'm sure he could do something to help/control the pain.

The dreaming is perfectly normal. Don't wake him up, let him go. My dogs snore, growl sometimes, move their legs as if they're running, wimper, etc. Just like we do. OK, so maybe we don't growl. LOL

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Kiddsmom, He never use to tear up my bedding. He use to be left out while I leave the house. But after coming home to tore up bedsheets. I decided to start crating him when every one is leaving the house.

Maybe try shutting the bedroom door when you leave. Sometimes they tear up bedding because they are building a nest to lie in.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree with having his thyroid checked. Full blood work wouldn't be a bad idea.

Be sure there is nothing wrong before you let the vet vaccinate him. I also agree with 3 year vaccination protocol.

Good luck and hoping you can figure out what is causing this and its an easy fix.

Leave your boy alone when he is dreaming. He could be dreaming of chasing rabbits for all you know - and enjoying it. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast