size and weight
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: size and weight

scutter is offline Senior Member

Defaultsize and weight

I have a new puppy now 6 months old. Female that only weighs 34 lbs and appears rather small. She seems healthy. She is a bundle of energy and one of those labs that looks like a deer hoping and running around. Her mother was about 60lb and dad about 70 lbs. I new she would be a little smaller but should I be concerned??

The male puppies at our training club are much larger and much heavier at the same or younger age.

Thanks

Scutter

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh i forgot to say what I am feeding. A 50 50 mixture of Iams puppy and the adult dog food that my other dog eats which is a 30 % protien 20 % fat chicken dog food. I have had my 7 yr old blk male on this dog food for 5 yrs or so and he looks great. The puppy also looks good not too fat nor too skinny

I feed her twice a day total of about 2 1/2 cups but she does seem to be more hungry lately than she used to. When she was at the breeders food was out all day long. Here she eats in the morning and in the evening. I have had her home for about 1 month.

Thanks

Scutter

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

She'll probably get to be about 60# too. Feeding 2x a day is better than free feeding IMO when you have multiple dogs - easier to monitor what each is getting. If she looks fine, I would not worry.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My Puff was the runt of her litter; her sibs weighed 12 lbs. @ 9 weeks while Puff weighed 6 lbs. Females were expected to mature at about 70-75 lbs, males at 80-85.

At 6 months, Puff weighed 40 lbs.

While there are many different curves/rates of weight gain during the 1st year, if your Lab follows the same trajectory as Puff, I'd look for a healthy adult weight of about 51 lbs. Of course, you can always make your dog overweight but that's my prediction for a healthy adult weight. That makes a great size for a car traveling companion.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

That may seem healthy to you, but to me, that sounds emaciated. Can you take a photo of her? A 6 month old puppy, even my fieldy Rhys who was 9lbs at 9 weeks old weighed 55lbs at 6 months.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

The dog you see in my siggy (HK) weighs 56 lbs at 2.5 years. She is small in stature relative to most Labs I have seen. I don't think I have seen any her size or smaller. She is healthy in my opinion and our vet says she is great. Unless you see something to be concerned about (ribs are visible, limping, poor poops, lack of energy and enthusiasm), I wouldn't worry about the weight. If you are concerned, have your vet take a look.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

That may seem healthy to you, but to me, that sounds emaciated.
    I disagree. Depending on their genetics, "Labs" will mature at anything from 45 to 130 lbs. So a 6 mos. old pup at 34 lbs. could be overweight for one maturing at a healthy adult weight of 40 lbs but too thin for one at 125.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Defaultsize and weight

I am a duck hunter and also a goose hunter. My blk male is about 75 lbs of pure energy that loves to retrieve. I have seen some small dogs retrieve ducks but was concerned that she would not be able to handle geese.

She seems to have boundless energy and her poop seems normal. no ribs sticking out. she eats twice per day. I am going to see the breeder this sunday and will ask about her littermates. If she matures to 55-60 I think that would be close to her mothers size of a little over 60 lbs.

I was wondering as to what percent of thier body mass should they have at 6 months. When she was younger her head appeared more blocky. At 6 months she has somewhat of a longer pointed nose and her head seems a little narrow for her body. Also she hasn't got all of her permanent teeth yet so I thought maybe she is a late bloomer.

She seems to be in sort of a gangly growing stage. Lots of legs. A lot different proportion than when she was a puppy but I understood that was normal.

Thanks

Scutter

lisa is offline Senior Member

Gracie is 7 1/2 months and weighs about 55 lbs., she is on the smaller side too. I would not be concerned as long as she in eating, playing and see's her vet when she is due.

Defaultsize and weight

I have had her at home for a month. She was 30 lbs when she came and is now 35 lbs so she is gaining approximately 1 1/4 lb per week? I don't know if that is average or not. I am currently feeding 3 cups per day. I will see how that goes for a week and them perhaps bump it up to 4 cups per day. I really want to talk to the breeder and try to find out how her litter mates are doing. The mom had 12 or 13 pups Zoe seemed average size to the litter, not largest or not smallest.

Thanks

Scutter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast