- rabies 3 year booster
    - fecal exam.

Just rec'd card that he needs the following this year:
    - dhp booster
    - rabies 3 year booster
    - parvovirus booster
    - fecal exam
    - heartworm test

Question is: Does he REALLY need this stuff every year? I lean on the side of not over-vaccinating. And isnt the rabies good for 3 years -- why would he need it again? The certificate says expires 5/2010. Ok- just read on the receipt from last year that it is good for 3 years but the recommend every year. Ok, i'll skip that one for another 2 years.

Im confused. BTW, he is 2 years old.

Thankyou.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Vaccine question

Here are some good links re: vaccines:
    http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf
    http://www.wsava.org/PDF/Misc/VGG_09_2007.pdf
    http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODD...-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Currently, I have Henry gets the 3 yr rabies vacc every 3 years, and he also gets the distemper/parvo vaccs (separately, 4 weeks between each) every 3 years, and NOT in the same year as rabies.

A minimal vaccine schedule would see the puppy series, then the 1 year boosters, and then titres from then on.

As far as your original question, Dale would only need his fecal and heartworm test this year, if he received everything last year (which would have been his 1 year boosters?) and if you want to stick to a minimal vaccine schedule.

The heartworm test is a definate yes.

If a 3 year rabies is given, I cannot see why a booster is needed after year 1, defeats the point of it being 3 year.

I personally do a 3 yr plan with Parvo/Distemper as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you - this information is very helpful - and proof to husband that Im not making it up!

Only other question - if he's on the heartguard all year round - why do the heartworm test every year?

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Heartguard (and all HW preventatives) aren't 100% - it's good to do a test every year (when you need more is a convenient time!) especially in areas with high HW rates.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Keep in mind how you vaccinate can be affected by whether you board, go to daycare, dog parks, training classes, etc.

Some places do not accept titers, and some places require yearly Distemper/parvos/bordatella.

Please do consider this- when i worked at a vet clinic, there was always someone that would call up an hour before their dog was due to be boarded going "uhhhh, the kennel won't take my dog because i didn't do this or that" (or because he's not current or because etc)....Yes, well, we told you that. Consider whether you go any of those places and save yourself the second office visit fee

Nope, Dale is strictly a home dog and only goes outside with the electric fence supervised. If we go away - we've got people to babysit him.

Oh!! Good point, Laura!

There is a 3-year vaccine for parvo and distempter - LINK

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dale-dog
    Thank you - this information is very helpful - and proof to husband that Im not making it up!

Only other question - if he's on the heartguard all year round - why do the heartworm test every year?
    I use Interceptor all year round (made by Novartis). My vet tests every 2 years. Novartis guarantees their product if you follow your vets protocol. If your vet says test every year and you do it every 2 than there is no guarantee if your dog gets HW. (guarantee is Novartis paying for treatment).

Not sure if Heartguard is the same protocol - don't know who makes it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast