Food troubles.....(I think)

Thread: Food troubles.....(I think)

DefaultFood troubles.....(I think)

Hello everyone. Our chocolate lab Coco, is about five months old now. She has been great! she just finished puppy kindergarten and her training has gone very well. We have had a ongoing problem though. Our breeder had been feeding her Black Gold premium puppy food. We decided to make the switch to Orijen Large breed puppy. We slowly over the course of a month weened her off the Black Gold. I noticed she often was having very loose stools. She recently had two accidents in her crate during the night which looked as though a bomb had gone off! She has never had any accidents in her crate before. The vet checked her out and said she seems to be fine. I decided that she was just not taking to the Orijen food and switched her back to the Black Gold. She has done well for two or three days, but just last night started with the very loose stools again. No accidents in the crate, but I did get up every three hours to take her out, and every time she went as soon as she got out the door. I'm totally confused as to what is causing this now. Could it be her treats? we give her milk bones, but mostly fresh carrots when training. Anyone have a clue? Thanks for any advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Food troubles.....(I think)

carrots can cause loose poo...I know thats what we use when my son is clog up..LOL I know TMI huh...

So maybe we should try laying off the carrots for a while

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would....cant hurt anything

So no carrots as of now. I hope thats what it is because I really like the Orijen food

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It could be that the switching between foods upset her stomach. Not unusual -- particularly in a young dog. You didn't say whether you mixed the two foods gradually or not. Some dogs can handle switching cold turkey and others can't. Where a young dog is concerned, gradual switching between the two foods is probably your best bet.

I couldn't find an ingredients list for the food your pup is currently on but I do know that Orijen is both very rich and nutrient dense. The fat, protein and meat content in Orijen is far higher than most commercial dog foods, so it would actually be suprising if a dog on an average-quality dog food didn't have at least some kind of reaction to the new food -- loose poops for a few days, for example.

To be honest, if she is doing well on the food she is currently on, I would keep her on it. Then when she is older and her system as matured you can try a gradual switchover.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'm wondering if you over fed the Orijen. It is rich and dense and if you feed too much, you produce loose poop. If you make the switch over cut back on the amount and see if that improves.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I am also thinking too much Orijen. Were you feeding the same amount as the old food? You need less on a grain free food to maintain weight. Over feeding can cause loose stools.

I have been feeding carrots for years as treats and have never had loose stools from them.

I know you said the vet checked him out but did you have a stool sample tested for coccidia, giardia, etc. ?