I am looking for opinions or experience with Wellness Super5mix Lamb

Thread: I am looking for opinions or experience with Wellness Super5mix Lamb

goodguy is offline Senior Member

DefaultI am looking for opinions or experience with Wellness Super5mix Lamb

It looks pretty good to me... Just wondering what kind of results people may have had. Or what are opinions on it..

Old Mother Hubbard Wellness Super5Mix Lamb

Calories Analysis (calories per 8 oz. cup)
    1 Cup 405 kcal

Ingredients
    Lamb, Menhaden Fish Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Rye Flour, Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Salmon Meal, Rice Bran (from brown rice), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Ground Millet, Natural Lamb Flavor, Flaxseed, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride.

Minerals
    Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite.

Vitamins
    Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Sea Cucumber, Green Lipped Mussel, Chicory Root Extract, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus.

Wellness® uses ethoxyquin-free protein sources.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein Not Less Than 22.0%
    Crude Fat Not Less Than 12.0%
    Crude Fiber Not More Than 3.0%
    Moisture Not More Than 11.0%
    Vitamin E Not Less Than 150 IU/kg
    Omega 6 Fatty Acids* Not Less Than 2.30%
    Omega 3 Fatty Acids* Not Less Than 0.80%
    Beta-Carotene* Not Less Than 5 mg/kg
    Lycopene* Not Less Than 0.25 mg/kg
    Taurine* Not Less Than 0.09%

The first two ingredients of this food are named meat products. The first ingredient, lamb, is meat inclusive of its water content (about 80%) and once that is removed it is likely that this ingredient would be more accurately placed somewhat further down the ingredient list (ingredients are listed in order of weight). However, the presence of a meat meal ingredient high on the list gives us confidence that there is an adequate amount of meat in the food. There is a further meat meal ingredient 9th on the ingredient list, but this is too far down to make up a substantial portion of the food. The manufacturer states the use of ethoxyquin-free ingredients.

The major grains in the food are oatmeal, barley and rice. Oatmeal is a good quality source of carbohydrates and B vitamins. Barley is also a good quality grain and carbohydrate source. Rice is a low-allergenic grain that is a good source of carbohydrates and additional protein. Rice bran and rye flour, however, are grain fragments and filler.

Canola oil is a source of linoleic acid, but not all manufacturers agree that this is a high quality ingredient. Rice, in its whole form, is a high quality source of carbohydrates, protein and fiber. Flaxseed is a good quality source of Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids. The inclusion of a range of fruits and vegetables is appreciated, as are the probiotics.

Overall, this food uses primarily good quality ingredients and we are particularly please to see the use of ethoxyquin-free meat sources stated. However, we do retain some concerns about the overall meat content of the food.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I am looking for opinions or experience with Wellness Super5mix Lamb

I really like the Wellness. I had tried to switch my girls to Wellness Super 5 Chicken but it must be too rich for them, they got very loose stools midway through the switch. I do buy it & mix it in with the ProPlan Chicken & Rice they eat.

I think if it agrees with your dog....frrd it. My girls do so well on the ProPlan, nice coats, good poops, no ear problems.....but I do like the Wellness.

Sorry, guess I wasn't much help.

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    I really like the Wellness. I had tried to switch my girls to Wellness Super 5 Chicken but it must be too rich for them, they got very loose stools midway through the switch. I do buy it & mix it in with the ProPlan Chicken & Rice they eat.

I think if it agrees with your dog....frrd it. My girls do so well on the ProPlan, nice coats, good poops, no ear problems.....but I do like the Wellness.

Sorry, guess I wasn't much help.
    No that was fine... I'm just looking for opinions or experiences and that is one... I have to stay away from chicken we (me and my vet) believe the chicken is the cause of her allergies...
    thanks for your input!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I feed my dog Wellness Core and I love the results with Casey. I started her on Wellness Chicken Super5mix and was pleased with that as well. I believe the Lamb version is supposed to be good for dogs with other protein sensitivities and could be a great option for your lab. Have also been feeding the Wellness protein treats. Basically I think the Wellness products are very good food choices and worth trying.

I use Wellness products and my dogs do great on it!! Their coats are absolutely beautiful!! I recently switched from Super Mix to Wellness grain-free brand. So far so good. I will stick to Wellness!! It is worth the money you spend on it!

Cool thanks for all your input.. The truth is, the wellness really isn't that much more expensive. I think at my stores I'm looking at a $5-$10 different on the large bag... That's allot less than a vet visit! I'm excited about getting her started on this!