Looking for a good quality beef based dry food.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good quality beef based dry food.

goodguy is offline Senior Member

DefaultLooking for a good quality beef based dry food.

Am looking at all options both with grains and grain free... My vet and I are doing some process of elimination for Sami our 2 year old yellow. He is pretty sure it's the protein source (meat) and not the grain that is the issue. We put her on the allergen free (perscription) food to clean out her system (and no protein based treats) then put her back on the food she was eating (eukanuba lab formula) to see if she'd start itching and licking again. Well we did and she was doing great on the allergen free perscription stuff *which does include grains this is why I'm pretty sure it's the protein that's the issue*. But started licking and itching again when back on her old food. The main protein in this is chicken so he suggested to put her back on the allergen free perscription to clean her out and try a beef based food.
    Can someone help me find a good Beef based food? I'm open to grains and non grains as I'm not (as well as my vet) convinced that grains are her problem. I'm open to any options as I have some time to research while she's back on the prescription stuff. I have looked over and over at the Dog food analasis on that review website but I'd like to get as many opinions as possible and weigh my options...
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Looking for a good quality beef based dry food.

EVO Red Meat immediately comes to mind. It is grain free.

Actually, scratch that. It also has venison, buffalo, and lamb. You're probably wanting beef only. I don't know that I've seen a beef only food, but I've never looked either. You may have to try a homemade diet where you can control the ingredients while you're experimenting with what is causing the problems. Has your vet mentioned that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I know this is a little differnt than I was looking for but it looks good to me... what do people think of this

Old Mother Hubbard Wellness Super5Mix Lamb

Calories Analysis (calories per 8 oz. cup)
    1 Cup 405 kcal

Ingredients
    Lamb, Menhaden Fish Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Rye Flour, Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Salmon Meal, Rice Bran (from brown rice), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Ground Millet, Natural Lamb Flavor, Flaxseed, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride.

Minerals
    Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite.

Vitamins
    Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Sea Cucumber, Green Lipped Mussel, Chicory Root Extract, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus.

Wellness® uses ethoxyquin-free protein sources.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein Not Less Than 22.0%
    Crude Fat Not Less Than 12.0%
    Crude Fiber Not More Than 3.0%
    Moisture Not More Than 11.0%
    Vitamin E Not Less Than 150 IU/kg
    Omega 6 Fatty Acids* Not Less Than 2.30%
    Omega 3 Fatty Acids* Not Less Than 0.80%
    Beta-Carotene* Not Less Than 5 mg/kg
    Lycopene* Not Less Than 0.25 mg/kg
    Taurine* Not Less Than 0.09%

The first two ingredients of this food are named meat products. The first ingredient, lamb, is meat inclusive of its water content (about 80%) and once that is removed it is likely that this ingredient would be more accurately placed somewhat further down the ingredient list (ingredients are listed in order of weight). However, the presence of a meat meal ingredient high on the list gives us confidence that there is an adequate amount of meat in the food. There is a further meat meal ingredient 9th on the ingredient list, but this is too far down to make up a substantial portion of the food. The manufacturer states the use of ethoxyquin-free ingredients.

The major grains in the food are oatmeal, barley and rice. Oatmeal is a good quality source of carbohydrates and B vitamins. Barley is also a good quality grain and carbohydrate source. Rice is a low-allergenic grain that is a good source of carbohydrates and additional protein. Rice bran and rye flour, however, are grain fragments and filler.

Canola oil is a source of linoleic acid, but not all manufacturers agree that this is a high quality ingredient. Rice, in its whole form, is a high quality source of carbohydrates, protein and fiber. Flaxseed is a good quality source of Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids. The inclusion of a range of fruits and vegetables is appreciated, as are the probiotics.

Overall, this food uses primarily good quality ingredients and we are particularly please to see the use of ethoxyquin-free meat sources stated. However, we do retain some concerns about the overall meat content of the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Actually, scratch that. It also has venison, buffalo, and lamb. You're probably wanting beef only. I don't know that I've seen a beef only food, but I've never looked either. You may have to try a homemade diet where you can control the ingredients while you're experimenting with what is causing the problems. Has your vet mentioned that?
    Actually I'm kind of open to any ideas this sounds like a good one, main source is beef and lamb that looks good. I'm just not 100% convinced about grain free yet. Some grains are good IMO.. But what do I know...
    So far I'm really liking what I see in Evo Red meat as well as the wellness lamb. It's not chicken so that's a start. Both are far better than I was feeding and even the grains in wellness are good quality.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I think if you're looking for a food to test this allergy hypothesis, you should probably stick with a basic food with limited ingredients. Otherwise, it will be difficult to determine what the culprit is. I know Natura (maker of EVO and Innova) makes a limited ingredient food called California Natural. I do not believe they have an all-beef formula, but they do have a lamb based formula that does not have any chicken in it.

Natural Balance also has a Potato and Duck formula. It has one carbohydrate source and one protein source (duck).

Those other foods may be fine, especially if it is the chicken that is the problem. They may be worth a try, but I'd try a food with limited ingredients first - and if it works then try one of the more complicated foods. If the problems arise, you know it's one of those ingredients. If you start with a food with a bunch of different ingredients, it just makes it all the more difficult to identify the culprit.

http://www.naturapet.com/brands/california-natural.asp
    http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...ml#Ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Actually I'm kind of open to any ideas this sounds like a good one, main source is beef and lamb that looks good. I'm just not 100% convinced about grain free yet. Some grains are good IMO.. But what do I know...
    So far I'm really liking what I see in Evo Red meat as well as the wellness lamb. It's not chicken so that's a start. Both are far better than I was feeding and even the grains in wellness are good quality.
    Wellness also makes a food called Simple Solutions which has one novel protein (like venison or duck) and one grain (like brown rice). One of my dogs was eating that for some time. It could work for you. No matter what, upgrading to a better food than Eukanuba will help a lot. It is not very well regarded anymore.

edited for spelling

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I'd go with California Natural or Wellness Simple Sol'n Venison - our dermatologist said duck was too similar to chicken for many dogs.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Nature's Variety Prairie has a beef food. www.naturesvariety.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast