Not Eating As Much

Thread: Not Eating As Much

DefaultNot Eating As Much

My chocolate male, Lou, turns 5 months today. He weighs somewhere between 50 and 60 pounds. Up until around 3 months, he was eating Science Diet for the prescribed amount on the bag. Then, I weaned him into Purina One very slowly. Again, he was eating the prescribed amount. About a month ago, I began weaning him into Iams. For the last few weeks, I have been giving him the prescribed amount of Iams (3-4 cups per day, which I break into 3 meals). Ever since I have had him, he has always eatien every morsel of food, and very quickly. He even did so with the Iams, at first. Now, he just isnt eating all of his food. He picks at it a little bit, but isnt scoffing it down like before. Over the course of the day, he isnt eating the full 3-4 cups anymore, as the bag prescribes.

FYI, I have switched foods so often because I have moved around the city and certain stores do not carry certain foods. Sad, I know, but I have weaned him into it every time as best as I could. It hadnt made a difference until now.

Do ya'll think he doesnt like Iams? Is he just slowing down his eating now? Any ideas?

I am a rookie dog owner. I've done well, so far, but I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Not Eating As Much

He's at the age where he's losing teeth. His teeth might be hurting him. Plus, he just went through a major growth spurt so he might not need the "fuel" he needed before.

Is he losing weight? If not, then cut him back a bit and see if he starts finishing the food. Also, if you are still feeding three times a day, you can cut out the middle meal. He's about the age where they start losing interest in lunch.

Oh and check the calories per cup of the Iams and the SD. You might find there are more calories per cup of Iams than the SD which means he's still getting the calories he needs but with less food.

Laura

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

This is a frequently posted concern around this age. And FWIW, the amounts suggested on most bags are sometimes grossly in excess of a healthy amount of food.

I've copied below and edited a post I've often made:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

I understand your worry, because I went through that with my Puff, although with her it was at about 7-8 months of age. However, there are such remarkable variations in the rates of development of Labs, it is almost certainly a similar thing.

Not to worry -- instead, REJOICE !! ;D

It was through this that I discovered my Puff was (at that time) largely a self-regulator of her food intake. That puts her in the minority; most Labs are gluttons and some could easily kill or injure themselves by over-eating if given a chance. Self-regulating (according to a poll I conducted on JL several years ago, responded to by about 70 owners) is only found in about 10% of Labs. And, at that, it applies only to regular kibble and not to steak, fish, cat food, horse manure, etc.

Puff had gone from eating about a cup of food a day when she was 6 lbs at 9 weeks age to eating 5 cups/day (divided into 2 meals) at 7-8 months. Then she stopped eating for a couple days and when she did eat, she ate only part of her food.

I looked up puppy nutrition in several dog vet books, The "UC-Davis Book of Dogs" says, for instance, that when puppies are very young they need to eat about 2X the amount of food that an adult dog of that same weight would need.

BUT, as they approach maturity, that need multiplier decreases from 2X down to 1X -- with 1X meaning they need the same amount an adult dog of that weight should eat.

I measured the amount Puff did eat when she resumed eating and made available only that amount for 15 minute periods.

She ate that amount. That lasted a bit and then she stopped eating again. I decreased the amount again.

Puff finally went down to her current 2 1/4 cups/day (divided into 2 meals).

I suggest you count yourself lucky and begin decreasing the amounts you feed until you reach a stable balance.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He's definitely not losing weight. I'm not sure that he's growing as fast, but I know he isnt losing weight. I'd like to think that he's starting to learn how to self-regulate, but he sure doesnt exercise that quality with anything else. I was just worried that he might be sick or dislike his food. It seems that it is pretty normal at his age, or thereabout, to begin cutting back a little in his eating. Is that a correct assumption?

Also, any recommendations for keeping him from reaching up on the countertops? How about keeping him off of the furniture?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It seems that it is pretty normal at his age, or thereabout, to begin cutting back a little in his eating. Is that a correct assumption
    Yes -- for some Labs. But many are gluttons and do not do that.

Also, any recommendations for keeping him from reaching up on the countertops?

Yes. The one sure way is to NEVER leave anything edible there. Some people have had success with mouse traps (placed upside down so they don't injure your dog) or with electronic devices made to dissuade counter-surfers. Some Labs aren't deterred by anything except no food there.

How about keeping him off of the furniture?
    Difficult. For one thing, many dogs have a desire to occupy the position you, their Alpha, occupied when you're not there.

Things some use is to put throws, protective coverings, over that furniture when you're gone. Some put physical barriers (lighter chairs) over the length of couches or on overstuffed chairs. Some find help from electronic devices sold for that purpose.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748