Looking for another dog food

Thread: Looking for another dog food

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultLooking for another dog food

for Bruno. Any suggestions are appreciated. He's 9 months old. I started him on Eucanuba puppy food, but changed when he had UTI problems. Went to Solid Gold Wolf Cub for a while, but took him off that but can't remember the reason. The last few months he has been on Diamond L&R with Judy and Duke. I noticed he has been shedding a lot and none of the other three are. It has been my experience that puppies don't shed much. Also he has a problem with bad gas. (I guess it has become my problem since I have to smell it; none of the dogs seem to mind the bad smell.) The last few days I gave him Mitzi's Wellness Core which seems to be good for her yeast allergy. So far, no bad gas on that. Should I keep him on the Wellness or are there any suggestions for him? It was a hassle to give three different dog foods to four dogs but I don't mind doing what's best for them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Looking for another dog food

The Wellness Core is good, but I know it's very expensive. If you're willing to pay for it, I say go with what's working. Any reason you couldn't put them all on what works for Bruno? You'd still be able to feed only one food that way.

The Wellness Core is also the only grain-free food you've tried, so maybe it's the grain that was giving him trouble? In which case, you could look at other grain-free foods as well. Switching to grain free was the biggest improvement for Piper's gas. She's been eating Taste of the Wild and she's done great on that.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Are you using Diamond Naturals or Diamond. The plain D has a lot of fillers in it (corn, wheat, etc.) the last I looked.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Are you using Diamond Naturals or Diamond. The plain D has a lot of fillers in it (corn, wheat, etc.) the last I looked.
    It's "Diamond Lamb meal and Rice", no wheat or corn. The last bag I got was Diamond Beef Meal and Rice when they were out of the lamb. The Beef&Rice looks like the same as the lamb formulation, just substituted with beef. (Calories slightly higher) Judy and Duke do well on it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I looked at Diamond's website and the "plain" Diamond does have wheat and corn in the ingredients list. Also, it doesn't come in "C&R", "L&R," "B&R" varieties -- that's only in the "Diamond Naturals" line. If you look on the bag, you'll see the word "Naturals" in a broad vertical band along the left front of the bag.

www.diamondpetfood.com
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

everydog is offline Senior Member

At some point, puppies shed A LOT. 9 months isn't an unusual age for this to happen.

Wellness says CORE is designed for "A grain-free choice for dogs over 1 year who need to maintain optimal daily health"

labby is offline Senior Member

My puppies are all fed ProPlan. Jake hardly sheds at all.

Laura

everydog is offline Senior Member

But at some point Jake is going to shed that coat, eh? And the food won't be to blame.

labby is offline Senior Member

Every dog sheds. He'll shed eventually, if we ever get spring here.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    My puppies are all fed ProPlan. Jake hardly sheds at all.
    Bella was on ProPlan Select when we got her. And we've kept her on that ... it's wonderful. Her coat is healthy, she's put on some much needed pounds, her breath isn't as bad as it was and she's just overall very healthy.

We switched our Corgi to it, from Nutro, and her coat is nearly silky. It's almost insane how she's responded to the food change.

I'm very happy with ProPlan Select