Nail Bed Fungus???

Thread: Nail Bed Fungus???

DefaultNail Bed Fungus???

Made a trip into the Vet today for a couple of things. I wanted him to have a look at two of her nails that are very dark at the base. She has also been doing a lot of licking and the area where the nail goes into the flesh part of her toe seems puffy/swollen. He didn't seem very concerned about it and prescribed Surolan (which I have previously used for ear problems). She hasn't been limping and they aren't super sensitive, but still they are quite irritated. He thought it might be a fungus type thing and felt the Surolan would fix it. Just wondered if anyone had this issue before. It must be itchy for her to be chewing/licking. Originally I thought that she might have got those couple of nails caught in something when I noticed the dark color at the top, but they've been like that for awhile now. Hopefully applying the Surolan to this area will clear it up. TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nail Bed Fungus???

What color is your dog? Something to keep an eye on - http://www.dermvet.com/squamouscell.htm

Someone I know has a dog who was just diagnosed with it.

Fritofeet - Thanks for posting that. I don't think it is anything that serious, but I'll use the medication the Vet gave me and see how it goes. She doesn't have any lesions......just the slight swelling which has likely been caused by her licking it. If it is a fungus type thing I'm curious as to what would cause the upper part of the toe nail to go black (at the base). I'm going back into the Vet in a couple of weeks, so I guess I'll see how it goes in the meantime. If it hasn't cleared up I'll get him to investigate further. BTW - my dog is yellow. Interesting that in the link you posted they say that the s. cell is more common in black dogs. If she was black (with naturally dark nails) I doubt I would have noticed anything.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ive used vicks vapor rub on the nail then covered it with an old sock or something to that effect to keep them from licking it all away.
    vicks works great for this kind of nail fungus.Works for humans too if your toe nails are yellow,stained or gnarly.Vicks at nighttime right on the nail changes them back to white and healthy.