Anal Glands...... Again

Thread: Anal Glands...... Again

DefaultAnal Glands...... Again

Well we were in to see the Vet today about a couple of things. Dee has been "scooting" for a few days, (unlike her) so I figured her AG must be full again. Turns out one was and one wasn't. Not sure why that would happen. I didn't really get an answer from my Vet as to why they are suddenly (at well past 3 y.o.) getting impacted. I've had them expressed by the Vet 3 times since Christmas. Previously they would express on their own....all at once. Not great, but better than impacted. :-\ He did suggest putting a little bran cereal in her food to try to bulk up her stool....thus clearing the glands gradually, so I guess I'll try that. Has anyone used bran cereal for this purpose? It would be easier than using pumpkin (which I know some of you have mentioned you do). I only have one dog and I'm guessing a can of pumpkin would last a long time.....though I'm not sure how much one would use per meal. He said to start with a very small amount of bran cereal (like All Bran or Bran Flakes) and see how she coped with it. As with people I guess it affects some more than others in terms of getting gassy. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Anal Glands...... Again

Yes,do the cereal it works.Give her stuff that will make her stools very hard,firm.Then it will clear those glands normally.It really works.
    Pumpkin did not work for us.We use grape nuts.Like 1 tb per meal 2 times a day to start.See how that goes then add more if you have to.Now we just do it once a week to keep things kosher.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

If you get the 15 ounce can of pumpkin, it should only last about a week. Use a tablespoon or two in each feeding. What amount of fiber is in your dog's kibble? She may not be getting enough from her food. You could also try adding green beans to her food for more fiber.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JustineNYC Guest

Had this problem a few weeks ago with Dale, and the canned pumpkin helped.

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    If you get the 15 ounce can of pumpkin, it should only last about a week. Use a tablespoon or two in each feeding. What amount of fiber is in your dog's kibble? She may not be getting enough from her food. You could also try adding green beans to her food for more fiber.
    Thanks for replying Jackie. I do sometimes put green beans in her food, but I guess not regularly enough to do the trick. It says there is max. 4% fiber in the kibble I feed, and her treats say max. 6%. I'm assuming those percentages must be fairly accurate even though they always label dog foods max and min. What do you think? She has a can of salmon (split over a few meals) once a week, and an egg about a week....as well as variety of other healthy stuff. Her BM's are good. I guess just not bulky enough.

goodguy is offline Senior Member

Ok this is all new information to me... My 2 year old sami has had this issue for about a year now. We've had the glands expressed a few times now. they seem to fill up right away because it's always bothering her. We are in the process of switching foods due to a different food allergy issue so maybe this gland thing can clear up along with the skin allergies she's had from her food? The new food isn't higher in fiber or anything though... If not then bran cereal or pumkin works? Someone also said green beans? If anyone is knowledgable on the subject please inform me... I would love for sami to live comfortably without her glands bothering her... She has never "scooted" but constantly has her mouth back there... I had not heard that fiber, or lack there of, causes this. I heard from a vet that this is something she'll just likely have to get expressed often. That may be costly and gross... If I can resolve this with the pumkin, bran, or green bean thing I'd love that. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated... thanks for your help!