Quality of food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of food

Lee

DefaultQuality of food

Hi!

I've been feeding Shea Nutro Puppy food and he's been doing well. He doesn't eat it dry, so I add 2 tablespoons of canned food. I use foods with the word 'gravy' in it so it's mostly just getting the food wet.
    My question is, do you think it matters' that the canned food isn't the best? I think it's the generic version of pedigree. My budget is tight and I can't afford to get the cans that match the dry food. It already kills me to spend $30-$45 on a hugh bag of food.

Any thoughts? I'm feeling guilty, but I cant in my heart feed my dog better then I feed my kids. My big boy is 75 lbs now! 11 months.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Quality of food

Yes, it does matter, but you don't have to get the same food that matches the kibble. There are other canned brands that are good that are relatively cost effective. We used Avoderm cans. I get them at Petsmart and they are about $1.69 a can. The store where I can only get their kibble, the same Avoderm cans are over $2!

As an alternative, I sometimes buy some ground turkey or chicken at the store (I look for when they are discounted) and saute it and add some oatmeal. I mix a few tablespoons of that in with the dry kibble, and that is very yummy for my 3.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't and don't give can food at all, alot of calories that Sammi doesn't need! If you do feed canned I would try for a better quality then this. How about throwing a few green beans on top. They are way cheaper and better for the pups! Di

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

If you have a Costco nearby and are a member (or have a friend who is and will buy it for you) then their house brand "Kirkland" C&R is a high quality food which sells (in Kansas) for about $21 w/tax for 40 lbs. My Puff's not a big eater and that much food goes stale about halfway through the 40 lb. bag so, after experimenting with containers, etc., the thing that works best for us is for me -- as soon as a new bag is opened -- to transfer its contents to 10-11 one gallon ZipLock freezer bags and seal them. I used to freeze half of them but no longer do since the storing at room temp in the ZL bags seems to do the trick.

The first 15 of the Kirkland C&R ingredients are:
    Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed,natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt,......

There's also a Kirkland L&R but I prefer the chicken because it has less rice in it than the L&R

OR, this product is very similar to the "Diamond Naturals" which is made by the same company that makes the Kirkland, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's, Taste of the Wild, and many other labels.

For example, here is the ingredient list for "Diamond Naturals C&R":
    Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

You can find dealers who sell "Diamond Naturals" with the link below. It'll be a few dollars a bag more expensive than the Kirkland. NOTE: "Diamond" is a little cheaper than "Diamond Naturals" but also has a lot more cereal grain in it.

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Di

Bob not to hijack the thread but I have a question. I have been feeding Sammi Diamond Natural chicken and rice, she does great on it! However when her last bag was getting low I went ahead and grabbed a bag of Kirklands chicken and rice, thinking it would be very close to the same thing! Within a few days (I did switch over a 4day period of time) Sammi was itching and had lose stools. After a couple of weeks of this I decided it must be the food and switched her back to the Diamond. It doesn't make since to me why the this would happen the ingredients seem so similar! Any thoughts, oh yeah once back on Diamond she is fine again. Thxs- Di

It doesn't make since to me why the this would happen the ingredients seem so similar! Any thoughts, oh yeah once back on Diamond she is fine again. Thxs- Di
    Di-- Fascinating.

The only thing I can think of is that there must be something in the Kirkland that's not in the Diamond Naturals that your Sammi has a slight allergic reaction to.

It makes me want to try a small amount of DN with Puff to see if there's any difference.

People keep saying, 'feed what works best for your dog,' and Labs do differ in what foods they do best.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

Di

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    It doesn't make since to me why the this would happen the ingredients seem so similar! Any thoughts, oh yeah once back on Diamond she is fine again. Thxs- Di
    Di-- Fascinating.

The only thing I can think of is that there must be something in the Kirkland that's not in the Diamond Naturals that your Sammi has a slight allergic reaction to.

It makes me want to try a small amount of DN with Puff to see if there's any difference.

People keep saying, 'feed what works best for your dog,' and Labs do differ in what foods they do best.
    Yeah I was even wondering if it might be an enviromental allergy, since some grasses and such are coming out this time of year, but once back on the Diamond she was fine. I know folks who change back and forth with no problem, so must be just something with Sammi- If you try it, let me know what you happens. Di

Lee

I like the idea of adding some 'real' food instead of the canned. He does get very little of the canned. I could easily just make my own gravy to get the same effect.
    I'm in Connecticut and haven't heard of a lot of the foods I"ve seen mentioned in other topics.

I do have a costco membership, but they don't always sell the same thing all the time. One day I bought deli cat and the next few times they weren't selling it. Drive me nuts. I'd gotten some canned dog food there as well several months back but they didn't have it the next time I needed it.

I just assume let him try to eat it dry. On Easter, Shea got a huge walk and lots of off-leash time to romp around the school grounds on our street before we left him for the day. I left a bowl of dry food for him and it was untouched when I got home seven hours later. He's funny, he won't even start for the bowl until I give him the ok and then walk away. It's like he's more interested in my attention and wont approach the bowl until I turn my back on him. Odd duck.

Di

Not odd, sounds like he is well trained. Sammi will sit and wait forever for her command to eat, although I havent tested it , she has been there for awhile when DH or I have walked off and forgotten to give the command! Di

I do have a costco membership, but they don't always sell the same thing all the time
    Gosh! I've often had that happen to me at our Sam's Club (another members only, warehouse club) in Topeka but never at the Costco I go to in Lenexa, KS. That's one of several things I prefer about Costco. The one thing I don't like is that it's 70 miles away (and there are no plans to build one in Topeka).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast