My Puppys Diet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Puppys Diet

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy Puppys Diet

Hi All,

Well tomorrow is our last chicken neck day and I've bought Milly chicken wings instead. I've worked out that the kibble we have for her advises us to feed her 2.5 cups per day which equals = 890 calories. Milly is almost 15 weeks old, and I am hoping to get your opinions on 2 things.

1. Do you think 890 calories is enough/not enough/too much for a 4 month old lab? (she is around 9kgs at the moment and almost 20lbs)
    2. Each Chicken Wing equals 94 calories. If we give her two wings it works out to be almost the same as 1/2 cup of her kibble. So my next question is, if I feed Milly 2 wings per day and 2 cups of kibble do you think that is a good idea and should we give her all the wings in the morning and all the kibble at night or 1 wing & 1 cup of kibble at each feed?

thanks!!
    Sarah & Milly
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: My Puppys Diet

My Angus is part kibble part raw fed. He gets kibble at 5:30am and his raw meal at about 6pm. It is important to allow a sufficient ammount of time for digestion between kibble & raw meals, as the rate of digestion different for each. They are processed in different ways by your pup, thus you should never feed raw & kibble together at the same meal.

Others arer better to advise on caloric intake. You'll get lots of great advice.

It is important to allow a sufficient ammount of time for digestion between kibble & raw meals, as the rate of digestion different for each.
    thanks for replying - do you know what the ramifications are if you do feed raw & kibble together?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sorry this took so long to reply, there's been lots to read as of late . I don't really know the technical ramifications for feeding both at once other than the raw and kibble are digested at different rates and processed differenty, therefore need to be spaced sufficiently. I don't kow how to explain it accurately, but I am hoping Fall River or jlab will see this and give you an indepth answer.

I don't kow how to explain it accurately, but I am hoping Fall River or jlab will see this and give you an indepth answer.
    It seems like everyone is too busy with the issues surrounding this forum! *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnye
    I don't kow how to explain it accurately, but I am hoping Fall River or jlab will see this and give you an indepth answer.
    It seems like everyone is too busy with the issues surrounding this forum! *sigh*
    Don't worry, everyone will get over themselves & it will blow over, it always does.

Here! I found one https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...html#msg908632

thanks for finding that ECM! It helps

I've registered with an Australian Forum too - it's for all dogs and not just labs but it was the best I could find over here. I will be spending time in that one asking questions until it's settled down here so maybe someone else has info there too.

cheers
    Sarah

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

In terms of mixing raw and kibble, basically because kibble digests so much slllooowwweeerrr than raw food, you could potentially have raw meat and such sitting in the digestive tract/stomach, waiting for the kibble that was swallowed ahead of or with it to go through. Basically, you don't want raw meat just sitting around for all that time.  :-X

That's how I understand it, anyways. 

I think that your puppy's body condition will tell you if you are feeding too much or too little. If she starts to look thin, feed more, if she starts to look/feel chubby, then cut back a bit. This is the method I used with Baloo and it worked pretty well for us. 

ETA: My Peanut LOVES "wing night", so I'm sure it will be a hit with Milly!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Basically, you don't want raw meat just sitting around for all that time.
    that makes sense - so the first thing that pops into my mind then is which does she get at brekky and which at dinner? The raw in the mornings or in the evenings?

The kibble has more calories........ would she need kibble in the mornings for her energy throughout the day?

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnye
    thanks for finding that ECM! It helps

I've registered with an Australian Forum too - it's for all dogs and not just labs but it was the best I could find over here. I will be spending time in that one asking questions until it's settled down here so maybe someone else has info there too.

cheers
    Sarah
    Glad to help, what little I actually did. Don't be a stranger with that gorgeous Milly, I for one am looking forward to many more pictures of her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast