Dog food help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog food help

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog food help

Ok so Ive found a dog food analysis website. It rates the dog foods out of 6 stars and gives a review on them

Alfie is currently on Chudleys Choice Gluten Free..this has 1 star!

I was thinking of switching to James well beloved..3 stars but they are concerned the 1st ingredient is rice, theres 26% lamb/turkey/duck meal in them.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...duct=383&cat=5

Also alot of these foods contain sugar beet pulp which has led to kidney problems in the past

So im a bit stuck on what to feed. What do you all feed..especially those in the UK as we cant get some of the foods that are available in the US

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Also it says that FAT increases bloat in large breed dogs

You would be right to go and change the food you are using, however you should be aiming for 4 stars or more. I use Innova (5 star) for one meal and raw for main meal, not sure if it is available to you but here is the site that makes it and you can look up if and where it is available in your area (they also make Innova Evo 6 star and California Natural 4 star) http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/international.asp.
    If you can't get any 4 star or higher rated commercial food have you considered Raw?
    As for the Bloat here are a few links that may have a little more info
    www.micbrc.org/bloat_study.htm
    http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/sho...ighlight=bloat
    using a better quality food is shown to decrease likelyhood of bloat occuring (due to lower volume of kibble you need to feed when using a super premium food)
    You will also be in for a surprise when picking up poop - they poop less frequently, smaller volume too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think DFA is a little severe in their judgment.

Puff eats Kirkland Chicken, Rice & Veggies (sold only at Costco membership clubs) -- I don't think it's rated but it's made by the same comapany that makes Diamond Naturals (the formulas are somewhat similar) and their chicken & R gets 3 stars.

I use the Kirkland as a base and then supplement it. For example, Puff gets about 2 TBSPs of Craisins (dried, sweetened cranberries) + 1 cup kibble at breakfast and then at supper a small slice of cooked salmon, one cup of cooked frozen green beans (no salt added), 1 cup kibble, one super strength Glucosamine (1500 mg) & Chondroitin (1200 mg), and a 1,000 mg Fish Oil capsule.

I like to think my additions would kick it up a star or two.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

The foods listed on dog food analysis are rated due to their ingredients content only.
    I see that they do say that Kirklands is a "reasonable" product. I think the meat content and the use of beet pulp (which is used to slow down the transition of rancid meat - yuck, and causes stress to the kidney and liver as well as being known to cause allergies and ear infections) and the fact the manufacturer is unable to guarantee that ethoxyquin (a carcinogenic that has been banned from use in human food) hasn't been used makes it's rating lower than some of the other brands.
    Just like every thing in life it's up to you to choose what you think is best - it's up to you what you choose to feed your dog, cat, kids etc etc but it is also good to have help understanding the things you don't quite know about (those manufacturers can be quite misleading in their claims and advetising), so you can make a well informed decision

Bob - noticed the cooked salmon - what a spoilt pup!
    Last edited by hiyaall; 02-28-2009 at 03:05 AM.

Cooked Salmon how spoilt! I am definately aiming for 4 stars or more the only one i recognise on those lists are Arden Grange, I know I can definately get that. Ill have to have a trip to all pet shops in the area and make a note of what they do!....Thanks for your help

I saw you only knew of one food available over there so I found these links for foods that are apparently available in the UK (if I did it right they should send you straight to the distributers page) hopefully it will give you more choice
    http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/storeLoc...inestores.aspx
    www.frommfamily.com/dealers-international.php
    www.eaglepack.com/Pages/international_dist.html

I havent seen them about but its good to know their are stockists over here and maybe someone is willing to order me it, Im on the hunt this afternoon

Thanks for your help

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Forget about that website. I posted in your other thread. Try Arden Grange or Skinners. Both British, both good value for money and good quality. Wellbeloved is ok, but AG and Skinners represent better value.

I thought ardens grange looked good, pets at home do it dont they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast