intense sneezing

Thread: intense sneezing

Defaultintense sneezing

For the past couple of days Potter has started sneezing A LOT. He'll sneeze three times or so at a time. They don't seem to bother them and he just continues on as if nothing happened. Then tonight his sneezes have become more aggressive. It's almost like his whole face will contort when he sneezes. When he's done he'll look at us like, "what was that?!?" But then he'll just go on about his business.

We are getting ready to switch Potter to a grain free food because he's been getting increasingly itchy and has a history of yeasty ears. He's 15 months and other than the itchiness and now the sneezing, he's perfectly healthy (just had his yearly check-up/shots a couple of weeks ago). Also potentially important is that we live in North Florida and spring hit us with full force this weekend, including heavy pollen (though this didn't affect him last year).

Any idea what could be causing this? I plan on calling my vet in the morning but wanted to check here, too.

Update: he just had 7 of these intense sneezes in a row. It looks SO uncomfortable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: intense sneezing

I had to laugh at your description of his sneeze....and better yet his look at you when he's done ;D
    I guess he wonders why you sneeze and it's okay.
    Anyway, I live in Kentucky and my two labs have started with the sneezing this 3rd day of spring.
    So has my husband and he never did it before.....Crazy weather has got us all messed up

Quote Originally Posted by tinat1
    Anyway, I live in Kentucky and my two labs have started with the sneezing this 3rd day of spring.
    So has my husband and he never did it before.....Crazy weather has got us all messed up
    We're actually from Kentucky (not Potter, he's a Florida dog, but my SO and I), so I know exactly what you're talking about! The allergies don't bother us down here; the pollen just turns all of our cars yellow :-\ Hopefully Potter's just reacting to the pollen and his crazy sneezing will pass (although you're right, the look he gives us is priceless ).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If the sneezing persists you may want to have his nazal cavity checked to be sure there is nothing lodged.

Mocha has done what your describing a few times at night right after going to bed she gets the same look on her face afterward too. It's probably just the pollen and weather but if it continues I'd have the vet check his nose just in case.

Maddy did that earlier this winter. She would scrunch up her little face and pull back for multiple sneezes. She had a little bit of a runny nose but seemed ok otherwise. It was a cold and just had to run its course. She goes to daycare and apparently it was going around with all the playmates. Don't get me wrong, we felt really bad for her, but. . . . . how she looked when she was sneezing was just priceless and we couldn't help but laugh. She just looked like a little person drawing in those breaths and her face all contorted. If it's a sudden thing I would say it would pass, but sounds like your pup might have some allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiski
    Maddy did that earlier this winter. She would scrunch up her little face and pull back for multiple sneezes. She had a little bit of a runny nose but seemed ok otherwise. It was a cold and just had to run its course...If it's a sudden thing I would say it would pass, but sounds like your pup might have some allergies.
    Thanks, everybody! Jamiski, it was all of a sudden and really it only lasted for a day or two. He's still sneezing a bit, bit not the scrunched up face sneezes like your Maddy had anymore. It seems he was just adjusting to some fun new spring allergies :P Poor guy; we felt so bad for him! But you're right, he did look priceless with his confused, what was that look