senior dog = senior food? (NLR)

Thread: senior dog = senior food? (NLR)

Defaultsenior dog = senior food? (NLR)

My girl (shepherd - not a lab) has been on a senior food for a couple of years. She will be 11 in June. I like having the glucosimine in the food - as she is terribly picky and will not eat if we add it in. She will not happily take a pill (even if hidden in food) and when compelled to take a pill she acts like such a victim. Thus - why I like the glucosimine in the food.

I recently changed her from Nutro - which she rather grudgingly ate with canned food added, to Wellness Senior. Figured better food with the senior stuff in there too. Transitioned over 10 days - seemed to be going ok. Then last Thursday she just turned up her nose and walked away. Over the next 4 days she lived pretty much on air. Had no more than 1/8 cup of what was offered at each meal. So - today I am preparing to feed the Lab and my fussy senior is VERY interested in his food - Wellness CORE. So - I tossed her a few kibbles. Ate 'em like they were treats. I fed her a few more by hand - loved the food. So I fed her the usual 1 cup and she ate it DRY with gusto. This from a dog that has always required a little something special in her food. She is a skinny picky Shepherd who has always walked away from a meal she was not interested in.

So - any reason to not feed a senior dog Wellness CORE? She is a very active senior dog - not a couch potato and not a bit overweight. Thoughts? If she likes it and I can get them both on the same food that would be a bonus.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: senior dog = senior food? (NLR)

Boy does your Shepherd sound like the Siberian/GSD we used to have! That dang dog drove me crazy going days without eating. OK, back to your question- unless there is a medical reason to feed your Shepherd on a senior food, she should do fine on a regular adult diet. I fed Mick adult food his entire life (once he was off puppy food).

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    Boy does your Shepherd sound like the Siberian/GSD we used to have! That dang dog drove me crazy going days without eating. OK, back to your question- unless there is a medical reason to feed your Shepherd on a senior food, she should do fine on a regular adult diet. I fed Mick adult food his entire life (once he was off puppy food).
    She just drives me nuts! It is such a pleasure to have a Lab who just Hoovers down his meal.

Thanks Micks Mom!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

It is important to feed seniors enough protein to maintain muscle mass as they get older, less active, develope arthritis, etc.

Without looking at the ingred. I would think the Core has more protein than the Senior. I feed seniors around 26% or more.

I'm not sure but think you can buy glucosomine in powder form or wondering if you open up the capsules into her food and mix with water if she would eat it that way?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I give Puff a G&C tablet every day (and a Fish Oil, too).

I used to put a dab of cream cheese on any pills and she swallowed them without hesitation. Then she began developing lactose intolerance with farting, softer poops, etc., so we switched to using peanut butter.

Works just as well, a little messier.

I'd be surprised if a big dab of PB on a pill didn't give that pill huge acceptance in dog world.

And G&C in dog food is seldom at therapeutic levels.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    I give Puff a G&C tablet every day (and a Fish Oil, too).

I used to put a dab of cream cheese on any pills and she swallowed them without hesitation. Then she began developing lactose intolerance with farting, softer poops, etc., so we switched to using peanut butter.
    I'd be surprised if a big dab of PB on a pill didn't give that pill huge acceptance in dog world.
    She won't touch PB or cream cheese or any kind of other cheese at all. If I surrounded it with chopped liver - - she might eat it. Like I said - she is really picky. Will only eat one kind of dog treat. Will not touch human snacks like chips or pretzels. Basically if it ain't meat - she won't eat it.

And G&C in dog food is seldom at therapeutic levels.
    That I did not know. Thanks!

Generally, it's even more important to feed a high quality protein to an older dog so I wouldn't worry about the Core at all (especially if she likes it).

Like Bob says, it's seldom at therapeutic levels. I've yet to see any food with a high amount of glucosamine, but I also haven't looked at every food out there so I can't say there are none. According to my calculations, I'd have to feed between 20 and 25 cups of most foods with glucosamine in order to provide the same amount as I give through supplements. There are some equine forms (Cosequin) that are in powder form and I know Cosamin (same makers as Cosequin) makes a caplet that you can open up and sprinkle the glucosamine onto the food if you think that will make a difference.

Cosequin also makes a supplement in a chewable form for dogs which is flavored with beef, so maybe you could trick her into thinking it's a treat.

i have an 11 yr old lab that eats CORE. he's in great condition for his age. i do supplement the gluc/condroit with nupro. he loves his food all the more with it.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I feed my girl ProPlan senior because it was the one of the few I could find that was at least 26% protein. Actually I think it is 28%. I agree the amounts of gluc/cond in food are not significant enough. You can get liquid gluc/cond, but then you run the risk of if the dog does not eat you just wasted it on a bowl of kibble.
    I have mentioned before on here I use Nature's Farmacy Phyto-Flex CCM Plus for joint health. It is in a powder form. My Maltese almost refuses to eat unless I DO put it on his food! Or if it is a problem a use a tablespoon of canned food and mix the powder in with it.
    But I would suggest if he is eating okay and will do so with a liquid gluc/cond, try that. You can usually find it at a feed store.
    Kim