Diarrhea and eye discharge

Thread: Diarrhea and eye discharge

Nobile is offline Member

DefaultDiarrhea and eye discharge

Hello everyone and happy easter! Something seems wrong with our 14 week old chocolate lab Coco. Last week while we where out she had a accident in her crate. She has never done this before and in fact has only ever had one in the house period. We took her outside and she went right away. It was very bad diarrhea. We took her to the vet that night for her second round of distemper shots. We told the vet what had happened and he checked her out and said she seems fine, no temperature and clear eyes. He told us to keep an eye on her. Last night she cried at 2:30 am and we took her out. Again terrible diarrhea. This happened again at 4:45 am. I also have noticed she seems to constantly have sleep around her eyes the last 30 hours are so. I will bring her back to the vet tomorrow but was wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone? Thanks for any help with this

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Diarrhea and eye discharge

I'm not a vet, but I'm thinking that the eye goobies are probably not related to the diarrhea. ???

It has also been about a week after her distemper shot? So, unlikely a vaccine-related reaction, though you might want to mention it to your vet when you see him/her next.

Could she have gotten into something, eaten something that she shouldn't have?

I would rest her tummy and GI system for 24 hours (fasting, no food but plenty of water... you want to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated) and then offer small meals of rice and boiled chicken or hamburger (with the fat drained off). Small, bland meals. Wait for a few good poops before transitioning her back (slowly) to her regular food.

As an aside, I probably wouldn't have let the vet vaccinate her if she was having bad diarrhea. Vaccinations take a lot out of a pup (and a grown dog) to begin with, let alone one who isn't well.

Hope Coco is feeling better soon!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Nobile is offline Member

I thought the same thing about the vaccination, but the vet told me he thought she would be fine. He did say to wait for the lime vaccination we where to give her for another three weeks. I thought possibly the change in food we made, but that was at least three weeks ago and she has seemed to make the switch just fine

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

I would take a stool sample in to the vets to test for parasites and depending on her deworming to date I would also consider deworming her

I to think the eyes and poop are probably unrelated

hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller