allergies to guinia pig?

Thread: allergies to guinia pig?

Defaultallergies to guinia pig?

Has anyone found their dog to have skin allergies to a guinea pig or anything related to the pig such as bedding? I had 2 docs tell me that this is highly unlikely but her scratching seems to have started not long after we got the "gimme" pig.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: allergies to guinia pig?

Do you use pine or cedar shavings as bedding? She may be having a reaction to that.

Try aspen shavings, or carefresh (http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=4844) It's better for your piggy too.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Yep.....I use pine and cedar. The pine seems to work better but I think I will try some of the carefresh......I think thats what was in the pen when we bought him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

you should never use cedar for small animals any way. it can effect their respiratory system. You can also use timothy hay as bedding. They love to bed down in it and LOVE to eat it for sure! I personally like carefresh.

There is a strong chance your dog is allergic to the guinea pig. I know of a dog who is allergic to the dander of the wife of the house. No lie. House dander and it is also allergic to almost every protein source other than I think venison?? I feel for the dog and its owners.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Muddog
    Yep.....I use pine and cedar. The pine seems to work better but I think I will try some of the carefresh......I think thats what was in the pen when we bought him.
    Really u should use aspen or carefresh better it would work more for both u and ur piggy and ur dog... And... If you dont have time for that... u can use shredded up UNSCENTED toilet paper... They worked well for my hamster who lived for ALMOST 4 years of age! I LOVE U HAMMIE R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs
    you should never use cedar for small animals any way. it can effect their respiratory system. You can also use timothy hay as bedding. They love to bed down in it and LOVE to eat it for sure! I personally like carefresh.

There is a strong chance your dog is allergic to the guinea pig. I know of a dog who is allergic to the dander of the wife of the house. No lie. House dander and it is also allergic to almost every protein source other than I think venison?? I feel for the dog and its owners.
    1st....thanks for the advise
    2nd....I think the pig would eat the timothy hay faster than I could cover the cage floor.........there IS a reason they have PIG in their name ;D
    3rd....I'm afraid to ask about the wife's dander.....did the husband get rid of the dog or the wife?? LOL ;D

We have a little piggy here also but we use the carefresh stuff.

Dog and piggy seem to be fine.
    Had the ginster pig for almost 2 years before we got our pup.
    bout the only thing that doesn't like carefresh is my bank account. :-\

Quote Originally Posted by LuckylabLizzie
    We have a little piggy here also but we use the carefresh stuff.

Dog and piggy seem to be fine.
    Had the ginster pig for almost 2 years before we got our pup.
    bout the only thing that doesn't like carefresh is my bank account. :-\
    I agree... :