Gassiness from food??

Thread: Gassiness from food??

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultGassiness from food??

So i'm sure a lot of you have read a few of my posts about Abbey being a picky eater and all of that.. after a few weeks, we found out that she's a self regulator.. She's on Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul and she eats approximately 1-2 cups of it, normally at night after her walk.. but since i've switched her to this, i've noticed that she's been VERY gassy...

She's not overweight whatsoever, but her gassiness is getting out of hand.. generally clears the room every time Shes around 50 lbs at 11 months and I'm not sure if I can switch her to adult food now.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a good food that I could switch her to? There is a food store a couple of miles away that carries the Diamond brand, which I have heard from here comes very highly recommended.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

(cross posted from lab chat)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Gassiness from food??

Chicken Soup is made by Diamond. So is Costco's Kirkland brand. It's more likely she's sensitive to one or more ingredients so if you change food, you'll need to try to figure out what is causing the gas. I don't know what is in the puppy formula off hand so I'll have to look it up. In the meantime, maybe someone else has some ideas.

OK...I'm back. I don't see anything in the ingredients that would immediately jump out. I do think the fat content is pretty high (17%). It's possible that a food with a lower fat content (12-14%) might resolve the gassiness.

Don't know if this is common or just happened with Piper, but when we switched her to less grains, it really reduced her gassiness. Her dry food is now grain-free and the moist food that she gets mixed with the dry in the evenings has rice. I intend to switch her to completely grain-free soon to see if it further improves the situation

People have different opinions on when to switch to adult food. A majority of opinions I've read say that by one year old, you can make the switch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackieG
    Don't know if this is common or just happened with Piper, but when we switched her to less grains, it really reduced her gassiness. Her dry food is now grain-free and the moist food that she gets mixed with the dry in the evenings has rice. I intend to switch her to completely grain-free soon to see if it further improves the situation

People have different opinions on when to switch to adult food. A majority of opinions I've read say that by one year old, you can make the switch.
    i picked up a bag of Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice, which is grain-free, so we'll see if it cuts down on her SPD's She is not completely out of her puppy food yet, but when that's almost gone, i'm going to slowly switch to Diamond Naturals adult food. By then, she'll be about one year.

Yes it can cause gas Mocha had a lot when she was on Nature's miracle L&R food as a puppy. I think it is fine to switch her to an adult food some don't use a puppy food at all and others switch as early as 4-5 months some prefer to wait it's really personal preference.
    Now the only thing that gives mine gas is too much egg or bananna's that they get occasionally for treats.