Greenies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greenies

Lidosdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultGreenies

I have read some negative reports on the safety of these "treats", and I am wondering if any one has an opinion on whether or not these are safe to give them.

Lido's dog breath could use a little help, even though his teeth are pretty much plaque free. I have always given him rawhide bones, but they give him an upset tummy these days.

I could use any other options if available.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Greenies

Regardless of the bad press Greenies have gotten and their recent change in formula (they are softer now, more easy to digest), they honestly have no bearing on cleaning teeth and keeping breath fresh. It's a nice idea, but they just don't really help for that, even though they are marketed it that way. You'd do better giving your dog a raw marrow bone or a Nylabone, since you said your pup doesn't do well on regular rawhide.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

One of my friends is an emergency/critical care veterinarian, and after she told me about a single week where she had to do emergency surgery on 5 different dogs with G.I. blockages due to Greenies chunks, I won't let my dogs go near them. They haven't made them safe enough for me to even consider them for my dogs.

The cat Greenies are different- more like a kibble that, when soaked, becomes like a sponge that easily disintegrates. Not the dog Greenies, though.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    I won't let my dogs go near them. They haven't made them safe enough for me to even consider them for my dogs.
    Same here. Mine only get the regular Nylabones anymore.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    I won't let my dogs go near them. They haven't made them safe enough for me to even consider them for my dogs.
    Same here. Mine only get the regular Nylabones anymore.
    I've always been told Nylabones shred? Is that concern overdone?

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Someone correct me if Im wrong here but the original (the really hard ones) little pieces come off but nothing that will cause a blockage.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BellaIci
    I've never heard anything about the Nylabone "durables" shredding...like mentioned above, they can get little tiny pieces off as they get *really* chewed on (about the size of a grain of rice), but definitely nothing I would call "shredded." I wonder if you could be thinking of the gummy Nylabones (in which case, YES...they can get too big of chunks off for my comfort level). For the durables, if your dog isn't interested in them, sometimes you can simmer them for a while in chicken broth to increase the smell/taste for the dog.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

The one and only time I gave Lucy a Greenie she threw it up almost immediately. Nasty!

Quote Originally Posted by BellaIci
    I've never heard anything about the Nylabone "durables" shredding...like mentioned above, they can get little tiny pieces off as they get *really* chewed on (about the size of a grain of rice), but definitely nothing I would call "shredded." I wonder if you could be thinking of the gummy Nylabones (in which case, YES...they can get too big of chunks off for my comfort level). For the durables, if your dog isn't interested in them, sometimes you can simmer them for a while in chicken broth to increase the smell/taste for the dog.
    Thanks!

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't give the greenies to my dogs. A friend's lab almost choked on a large piece of one. I give my girls the durable Nylabones & when they have been chewed & seem rough or pointy on the ends...I toss them & buy new ones. I also give them marrow bones once in awhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast