Dog Food Ratings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food Ratings

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog Food Ratings

I just love the review page on www.dogfoodanalysis.com. If it's a true analysis then I've been feeding my labs wrong food all their life
    I see so many postings on fresh food and frozen fish, etc., it blows my mine. I only have a Walmart store where I live and no one has ever heard of the kind of foods you guys talk about. I would love to do right by my dogs, but don't know where to start! ???
    I have changed food to one of the 6 star ratings and hope I see some changes in their allergy problems.
    Do you have a few tips on fresh food that I might get at walmart?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Food Ratings

tina1, I hope your dog does well on the 6 star food you chose.

My experience, from years of reading JL comments, is that some dogs do better on some dog foods that do NOT have the highest rankings while doing poorer on some that do have higher rankings for ingredients.

Just depends on the particular dog and the particular food.

That said, Schell & Kampeter make a variety of foods including Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Diamond Naturals, Kirkland (sold only at Costco and similar to Diamond Naturals), Diamond, and other brands.

TOTW, CSFTDLS, DN, and K all have high ratings, some more than others.

The link below will show where you can buy Diamond products locally. I'd be very surprised if there isn't an outlet near you.

DN usually sells for about 60c/lb. in 40 lb. bags; I pay $21.10 (tax incl) for a 40 lb. bag of Kirkland at Costco. Outlets (such as Tractor Supply) that sell DN may be able to special order TOTW or CS. (But a 40 lb. bag eventually goes stale for us unless, on opening, I immediately transfer its contents to 10 one gallon sealed Ziplock freezer bags.)

FWIW, here's a dealer locator link for Diamond Naturals and Diamond:

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Most of the 6 star foods don't have grain. So if the allergy is to grain, you should see a difference with 2 months. Hopefully sooner

I started feeding Orijen before is became as popular as it is today and before it got rated on that site and really like it. I use to order in from Florida to NJ. That being said, my boy was licking his paws more than i liked and once I made the switch - problem solved within 10 days. I was giving him Innova LB puppy before that.

Good Luck...also watch your treats as well. I would give the nwe kibble as the sole treat for a while as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I really like that site too, but it isn't the be all and end all, some dogs won't do well on the 6 star foods, but they are definitely a GREAT place to start. I think my two favorite grain frees are orijen and Innova EVO.

There's lots of other readings on dog foods too. Here's another great site:

www.dogfoodproject.com
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Thanks for the input. I DO need to scale back on the treats. I'm really bad on this :-\

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I DO need to scale back on the treats. I'm really bad on this
    A great method I was taught by a long time trainer is to measure out the next meal's kibble in a bag. Then, use some of that quantity for giving a treat.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

WOW
    We are in some major changes at our house :'(

Quote Originally Posted by tinat1
    Thanks for the input. I DO need to scale back on the treats. I'm really bad on this :-\
    I was the same way and couldn't understand why my dogs weren't losing weight. The only treats I give them now are carrots and bananas. They absolutely love carrots. The first thing they do in the morning is stare at the refrigerator and wait for their carrots!

Where is Ohio county in Ky? A lot of the smaller towns have like tractor supply stores? They carry the other dogfood brands?

I checked at our local tractor supply store and they didn't have any of the brands you guys talk about.
    What about Diamond? They did not have Diamond Naturals, just Diamond?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast