Jasper Just Sits but can't lift his hindend until I lift it for him

Thread: Jasper Just Sits but can't lift his hindend until I lift it for him

Jarrod118 is offline Junior Member

DefaultJasper Just Sits but can't lift his hindend until I lift it for him

I took Jasper to a dog park. He ran around, played fetch/catch and took a healthy dump. About 15 minutes later he tried taking another dump. A little came out, but the thing is he wouldn't let himself get out of the "I'm taking a dump position." After some coaxing, he started running around somemore. We went home a little bit later. He just sat in the living room looking at me. I would say come and he would try to lift his butt up but couldn't. I came over and lifted it for him and he walked a little bit with an arch in his back. We took him to the vet about a month ago for these symptoms. They took xrays and didn't see any problems with his hips. The vet did say his anal sack needed a major cleaning. The vet cleaned it out for us and gave us some pain medication. We didn't play with him for awhile hoping he would heal. Well, he got better, but I have a funny feeling it wasn't pain medication but lack of activity that prevented or helped symptoms go away. I really want to know what is wrong with him. I am thinking it may have something to do with his anal sack or maybe even his digestive system. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance for your help.
    "Labradors, stinkers, everyone of 'em I tell ya"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jasper Just Sits but can't lift his hindend until I lift it for him

Sounds like his anal glands need a cleaning again. Poor guy is probably really uncomfortable.

I'd take him back to the vet, ask them to show you how to empty them, that way you won't have to keep going back again and again.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Poor guy! :-\ Is this a common problem for labs/dogs? I have never had to deal with this......
    I hope he gets some relief soon!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't know that sounds more like a back or hips issuse if he's not wanting to get up to me. Is he scooting his butt on the floor or licking at it? Those are the signs of anal glad discomfort I've heard about. I would take him back to the vet again.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Sounds like his anal sack again. I would take him in right away, he's probably miserable.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

I am going crazy with (it sounds like) a similar problem. My lab stays in the dump position for log periods of time in the yard. He humps his back up alot also. I have spent hundreds of dollars at the vet getting anal sacks cleaned, blood work and x-rays. She put him on atopica which is an expensive pill that I never heard of and it has helped with the anal glands but not with the over extended dump position. I'm truly baffled

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

tina1 said
    I have spent hundreds of dollars at the vet getting anal sacks cleaned, blood work and x-rays. She put him on atopica which is an expensive pill that I never heard of and it has helped with the anal glands but not with the over extended dump position. I'm truly baffled
    It may be worthwhile to try a College/School of VetMet Teaching Hospital. They have a higher level of diagnostic and treatment services than that of many local vets.

In the area of Kentucky in which you live, you might be able to go to Indiana (Purdue, W.Lafayette), Illinois (IU, Champagne), or Tennessee (UT, Knoxville). Some C/SVMs allow individuals to self-refer, some require referral through a vet.

The following link has information on the US & Canadian C/SVMs, their locations, admission policies, etc.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetnet.html

Jarrod118, I'm sorry there isn't a C/SVM located nearer you; your area of the West has very few of them.

BUT, possibly, you might videotape some "good" episodes of Jasper's behavior and then, identifying those C/SVMs that do allow client referrals, contact them to see if you can pay for a consult on your dog's behavior as revealed by the videotape.

Worth trying.

I bet you'll find some C/SVM willing to help you.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

It sounds to me like your dog may need a chiropractic adjustment.

Here is a link to search alternative vets in your area if you want to go that route.

http://www.vetlocator.com/holisticandalternative.php

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

If he was mine I would get him a chriopractic adjustments and / or acupuncture treatments.
    Alicia