Sore's under belly and on shaft....

Thread: Sore's under belly and on shaft....

DefaultSore's under belly and on shaft....

I noticed a couple weeks ago that Tyty had a sore at the tip of his penis shaft. We took him to the vet and he just said that anything we put on it he would just lick off and probably make it worse. I came home and put some neosporin on it and watched him for licking. That sore went away shortly.

Looking at him today I noticed that he now has several new sores on his underside and inner thigh. Here are some pictures. It doesn't seem that they are bothering him much but before I take him in I wanted to see if anyone had seen this or used a home remedy that may have worked....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sore's under belly and on shaft....

Mocha gets those occasionally. I have some medicated shampoo the vet gave us for a previous staph infection and I normally wash the area with it good once or twice and they clear up. She has had them around her vaginal area before and she seems to lick those more but if they are just on her belly she leaves them alone pretty good. If one opens up I would try to neosporine but normally hers just are red then they get crusty and go away. I would see if the vet can give you some medicated shampoo or do a scraping to see what they are for sure if he keeps getting them. I normally just wash the affected area instead of giving her a full bath every time.

Lidosdad is offline Senior Member

This looks exactly like the staph infection that my dog had last fall. It spread quickly, and his hair started to thin out on his belly. The vet prescribed a medication for humans. Unfortunatly, it was really expensive. My wife took him to a groomer around the same time, so I'm thinking it came from there. >

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I agree- it looks like a staph infection to me.

Dogs don't usually "catch" a staph infection- they usually end up with skin irritation for one of a variety of reasons and then end up with the *normal* staph bacteria that live on their skin (just like humans- we all have naturally-occurring staph that isn't a problem unless the skin gets traumatized) getting in there to "set up shop" as an infection.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

That looks like pyoderma. Jeb has been on an antibiotic(Keflex) several times for it. We also used medicated shampoo several times and have switched to grain-free food. My vet thinks it is probably caused by allergies. You can also use Benadryl (1 mg per pound of body weight) to help relieve the itching. A bottle of 400 costs $4 at Costco.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    I agree- it looks like a staph infection to me.

Dogs don't usually "catch" a staph infection- they usually end up with skin irritation for one of a variety of reasons and then end up with the *normal* staph bacteria that live on their skin (just like humans- we all have naturally-occurring staph that isn't a problem unless the skin gets traumatized) getting in there to "set up shop" as an infection.
    That is exactly what it was! He has been on cephalexin for 10 days and it is completely gone....Thanks for all the help guy's!!!

I'm glad it's all cleared up

SEDA is offline Junior Member

All dogs have the Staff Infection lying dormant under their skin most dogs live their life without any problem of it erupting.
    Those that do experience and outbreak, most are as a result from food allergies.
    My Lab was fed on a diet of processed dog food kibble from 9 weeks by her previous owner till the age of 13 months.
    I obtained her and she had a severe outbreaks of Staff infection under her chin.
    As I live in Australia and it is considered an excellent Pet Food source here, I changed her diet to Raw Kangaroo and cooked Sweet potato (as an elimination Diet) for 3 months then I found a All Natural Complete Mix product made by a local Vet and she has been on that for nearly 2 weeks.
    It has made a huge difference having her on this Raw Natural Diet, so much so, the sores have nearly cleared up.
    It can take a dog up to 6 months to clear the toxins from it's body and for the immune system to kick back in correctly.
    Additionally, I have been giving her a dosage of Colloidal Silver (Silver Water) in her food and drinking water as well and bathing and soaking the affected area with the Colloidal Silver (Silver Water) - twice daily.
    Well worth the time and effort to use on your dog as well.

Phil and Varda (the Black Lab).