Kaye "Our Goldador" - Stomach Problems (Liver Disease)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaye "Our Goldador" - Stomach Problems (Liver Disease)

DefaultKaye "Our Goldador" - Stomach Problems (Liver Disease)

Hi my dog, Kaye, is 14 and has been having some stomach issues over the last few weeks. Mostly she has been vomiting up bile sporadically and sometimes retching. We have taken her to the VET and initially they treated it with Prilosec. She was on the Prilosec for about 7 days but it didn't seem to make much difference she still intermittently threw-up mostly on an empty stomach. We have been giving her light meals about 4 a day. She went for about 5 days without throwing up but the last few days it has been every morning before she eats.We have tried giving her last meal around 10pm to help prevent an empty stomach but this am she still threw up b4 we had a chance to give her breakfast.

About a week ago we did bloodwork which showed pretty elevated liver enzymes and pancreas enzymes but Prilosec can elevate these levels so given that she didn't have jaundice or gum issues or other typical Liver issues we were concerned it was drug related. Her stomach does not seem tender to touch (typical with Pancreatitis).

Kaye has never been fussy but now is turning down treats and dog food- we are feeding her chicken, rice and pasta etc (which she has been eating pretty enthusiastically on the whole). Tonight she threw-up an hour after dinner - she has managed to eat a little chicken and rice and we are monitoring her.

Any similar experiences would be appreciated! We adore our baby and want to get to the bottom of this. We are scheduled back at the VEt 7:30 am for bloodwork on an empty stomach.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: stomach problems

Sorry, I have no help to offer....just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and Kaye and hoping for the best :-*

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Liver and Pancreas issues can be tough. I just went through this with my cat. She had four or five different vets look at her, multiple blood tests, a few x-rays and two ultrasounds trying to figure out why she was so sick and nothing out of the ordinary came up. It wasn't until she had the PLI test done that she was diagnosed with pancreatitis. PLI tests for the presence of certain enzymes in certain areas, it was waaay more expensive than regular blood work and had to be sent to a special lab. :P

But anyways, she's now on a vet-formulated homemade diet and doing great.

So yes, diagnosing pancreatitis can be very very tricky, and it can mask itself as many many different things. I would continue with the diagnostic work-up with your girl, sending good thoughts that she's feeling better soon!

She's beautiful, by the way.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would insist on an x-ray or an ultrasound to see what is going on on the inside.

DefaultRe: Kaye "Our Goldador" stomach problems (liver disease)

Thanks for your replies. We just got back from the Vet - and had X-rays and an ultrasound. It looks like it is Cirrhosis of the Liver - end stage so not great but apparently still treatable. Without a biopsy we can't be absolutely sure but the treatment would be the same anyway. It is possible that it is cancer but the VET thinks Cirrhosis is more likely.

They have her on steroids- prednisone , antibiotics- amoxycillin and metronidazole, a diaretic and milk thistle. Plus she is now on Hills special L/D diet. So far we have got most of the meds into her but she is turning her nose up at the food - which is upsetting as she hasn't eaten since early yesterday - apparently the steroids will help increase her appetite. We are crossing our fingers and paws that this will help her feel better - we know we are lucky that we have had her for almost 15 years but we are not ready to say goodbye as long as we can keep her happy. Before this she has been an incredibly healthy active dog and up until the last few days has been trotting around happily.

Hope this info helps anyone else facing these issues. We live in Maine and for the record Falmouth Veterinary Hospital are amazing, attentive and caring. I don't remember any medical professionals who I have ever had call me at 8pm at night or show such compassion - I guess Vets choose their profession b/c they love animals

I am sorry to hear she is so sick, but am glad they say she can be treated. Saying goodbye is never anything we are ready for and hopefully it won't be for a long long time for all of us
    Thank God for our dogs and thank God for good vets!!!!!!
    We'll keep you in our thoughts.

DefaultRe: stomach problems (liver disease)

Thanks Tina1 for your thoughts and well wishes your black and gold duo look awfully cute .

Any info from people on holistic home diets that are are appropriate for liver conditions would be appreciated. I have a feeling that Kaye, who is used to a combo of dog food and home cooked meals, is not going to like the new meal regime. Of course I'll need to run everything by our Vet.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

From what I understand cirrhosis is not cureable but the symptoms are treatable (to comfort the dog). I would suggest you continue feeding the Hill's. While not a huge fan of Science Diet, I do think their veterinary diets have a place.
    other dog food companies are Wysong that makes a Rx line and they do have one for Liver
    http://www.wysong.net/PDFs/heparone.pdf
    I'd personally stay with the Hill's. At this stage in the game and her age, I would not want to go too far into messing with her diet. Continue with the milk thistle.

Give your girl a big ol' hug.
    Kim

DefaultRe: stomach problems (Liver Disease)

The weekend was a tough one for us - Kaye is having trouble eating and still not responding well to the treatments. We have been back to the VET numerous times and been in touch daily. We have increased the diuretics to help with ascites (fluid in the stomach) and made some other med adjustments. We are hoping this might be a turning point but if not may have to let her go. So very tough and sad to even contemplate losing our "Golden Child" who began her life in New Zealand as a Guide Dog in training and then decided to take up a job as a beach bum and lover of the good life. Please keep Kaye in your prayers.

You and Kaye will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast