herbal anti-inflammatories/painkillers

Thread: herbal anti-inflammatories/painkillers

mistonia is offline Senior Member

Defaultherbal anti-inflammatories/painkillers

my 9yo lab is starting to show signs of being sore in her hips and joints, i don't really want to put her on metacam yet, though she is saying she is sore now and wants painkillers when i asked her today. Just wondering if there is an alternative medicine i can put her on to help ease her joint pain and inflammation, shes on cod liver oil and evening primrose every day at the moment and on a diet to loose some weight to put less pressure on the joints.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: herbal anti-inflammatories/painkillers

MSM.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

In addition to the MSM, one might consider a glucosamine&chondroitin combination.

I use this for myself and for Auggie. I have been ordering "NOW" brand 'extra strength tablets online at http://www.luckyvitamin.com/733739032447.html
    Also a good brand of 100% fish or flax seed oil is said to help with inflammation too.

Auggie gets one 750/600 (mg) glucosamine/chondroitin with her morning feeding and another one tablet with her evening feeding; along with the tablets she is given 1 tsp. of flax oil morning and evening over her kibble.

I don'no, I tried MSM a couple of different times with Auggie and noticed no improvement in her comfort level at all..... guess not everything works for all dogs ???

I take four of the gluco/chond tablets a day along with fish oil and they sure help me with my old, arthritic hips and knees.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

For my older dogs I give them GlycoFlex III and they also get chriopractic adjustments and acupuncture treatments.
    Alicia

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I you want to go a more natural route I recommend Nature's Farmacy PHYTO-FLEX/CCM PLUS
    When I tried to increase the dosage of the pill form of Gluc/Cond I had a dog who's diarrhea I could not control. So I pulled it back to our normal dosage and started giving more of the CCM Plus and it made a world of difference.

Ingredients: Kelp Meal, Ground Whole Flax Seed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, New Zealand Green Shell Mussel*, Potassium Chloride, Chicory Extract, Spirulina, Barley Grass Powder, Carrots, Parsley Powder, Yucca schidigera, Wheat Powder, Garlic Powder, Licorice, Anise Seed, Milk Thistle, Fennel Seed, Glucosamine Sulfate*, Methylsulfonyl Methane (MSM), Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Calcium Carbonate, Iron Proteinate, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate and Dried Fermentation Products of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium and Bacillus subtilis.

http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/...270&category=7
    Kim

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

1) Give a glucosamine supplement that has MSM in it - Dasuquin with MSM, Synovi-G3, or Glycoflex III come to mind immediately.
    2) Give additional fish oil, as much as 4000 mg per day, to tolerance (can cause diarrhea).
    3) Adequan shots work great - talk to your vet.
    4) Accupuncture also does wonders, if there is a holistic vet in your area I highly recommend it.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Here is a link for suggestions for arthritis/pain in seniors.

http://www.heartypet.com/blog/?p=25

Here is something I have heard about recently that people are using in lieu of Adequan injections and reporting wonderful results. some in as little as a week. I only wish I knew about this product when my senior, Abbey was still alive. This is an oral product (hyaluronic acid)

http://www.lubrisynca.com/about/faqs.aspx