torn ACL healing? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: torn ACL healing?

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: torn ACL healing?

You need to get that dog in to see an orthopedic vet ASAP. There is a great risk of rupturing the other ACL, and then you've really got a problem.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labsrme
    You need to get that dog in to see an orthopedic vet ASAP. There is a great risk of rupturing the other ACL, and then you've really got a problem.
    Plus the other orthopedic issues. Tearing the meniscus can happen. The compensation the dog will put on the rest of his body to allow him to walk with the injury could throw his whole body off.

rws

Our female Lab managed to tear both her ACL's - not at the same time. Both were surgically repaired and one failed after that and had to be redone. She was probably 2 at the time. The recovery was slow and keeping her calm was the biggest problem. She is not 100% and is at best maybe 80%. She used to tire easily and too much exercise would take it's toll on the comfort of her leg(s). She is now 10 and gets a monthly injection of something called Adequan(sp??). She does OK but it's pretty obvious she has had problems. She is happy and healthy but a bit stiff at times.
    Not trying to rain on your parade and I do hope you have excellent results with whatever avenue you take. Just thought I'd share our experience.
    Russ

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by millstonekennel
    NO NO NO you need to keep her quite or she will tear the other knee by putting all her weight and force on it. As for the surgery a TPLO is the best. Swimming is the best exercise to do. Try to find a underwater treadmill for her.

Is he saying if you strenghten the other knee you will not have to do the surgery?
    Yep, I agree. My Rotweiller just got her second TPLO surgery. 1 week postop! TPLO is the way to go. There is no way Abby could have walked that long on her knee without repairing it. She was not putting any weight on it at all, and wouldn't even go to the bathroom. If this is your first ACL injury, just be prepared for the other knee to go as well. It is very common for both to tear. Abby's 2 TPLOs surgeries were about 10 months apart from each other. Very expensive, but great recover.

What is TPLO? ???

My dog Margaret just had TPLO surgery 3 weeks ago - it is short for tibia plateau levelling osteotomy - high tech surgery for large breed, active dogs like Labs. My surgery plus other expenses was $3700 and my pet insurance covered $2800 (I just got my cheque yesterday, very )

She suffered a ruptured cruciate ligament which for humans is an ACL injury. I am questioning your vets instructions for MORE activity as my dog is basically housebound for 8 weeks - short, leashed walks and nothing off leash until she gets a clean bill of health.

You might want to consider choosing a different vet. Go see an ortho vet ASAP!! Rest rest rest! No ball play. We are 4 days into recovery from TPLO surgery for a torn CL. Yes, we were taken down the wrong path for almost 2 years! (a long story) The TPLO was the best option for our totally hyper "all I care about is the ball" female yellow. But 4 weeks of confined rest is not fun for any of us. Pain pills and sedatives help but we don't want our dog to be a dope either. Good luck. TPLO surgery= $4200.00 fingers are crossed for Pet Care insurance......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12