Vet visit yesterday

Thread: Vet visit yesterday

DefaultVet visit yesterday

So yesterday was Casey's annual exam along with all the vaccines, etc. So Casey has always weighed about 73 pounds while looking healthy, not overweight, just a solid girl. Well I started changing her food about 4-5 weeks ago (I have lost track) from a food that has a lot of grain to Wellness Chicken Supermix to Wellness Core. ( A fast change but she handled it fine) I embarked on the change strictly for health and nutritional reasons based on what I had started learning about standard dog food. :-X During this food change I also started feeding a raw meaty bone at least every other day. Yesterday at the vet she weighed 67 pounds! A six pound drop in a month or so?! I was amazed because I thought her coat looked really good and she seemed to be responding well to the food change but she did not look like she had really lost weight but perhaps it was not as apparent to me because I see her everyday of course. She looks great! I think the change mostly shows in her more defined waist. (Sassy girl) New York will be calling her for their fall runway shows! ;D The vet was pleased even though we had never had any discussion about weight drop or food change. I went from feeding 4 cups a day of the old food to 3-3and1/4 cups a day of the wellness core. Her exercise levels have remained the same during this time.
    Anyone else experience this type of change with their labby and food?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vet visit yesterday

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Is there a calorie difference btw the 2 formulas that accounts for your rather substantial decrease in food? If she looks good, chances are, she's been a bit heavy... I agree, I'd much rather my dogs be on the lean side.

Also, you fail to mention age. As dogs age, it's really not uncommon to see weight loss (due to muscle loss). Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Good questions. Casey is 7 and half but people are always surprised when I tell them her age. She may have been a few pounds on the heavier side but I also think the composition of her diet may be related to the scale number. Wellness Core is completely grain free and very high in protein. The first ingredient on her prior food was some kind of corn concoction. With the grain free foods what I have learned from talking to my pet store person and here on this board indicate that not as much food needs to be fed for a high protein kibble. This is also indicated on the Wellness website and in the feeding guidelines. I am feeding her on the high end of her weight guideline because she is an active dog.

Oh one other thing I have noticed is that Casey while very energetic in play and on walks, seems calmer around the house. Less premeditative plotting of mischief!
    Whether this is related to her food change or age I cannot say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by diabolicalangel
    Good questions. Casey is 7 and half but people are always surprised when I tell them her age. She may have been a few pounds on the heavier side but I also think the composition of her diet may be related to the scale number. Wellness Core is completely grain free and very high in protein. The first ingredient on her prior food was some kind of corn concoction. With the grain free foods what I have learned from talking to my pet store person and here on this board indicate that not as much food needs to be fed for a high protein kibble. This is also indicated on the Wellness website and in the feeding guidelines. I am feeding her on the high end of her weight guideline because she is an active dog.
    Protein also helps kickstart the metabolism and burn fat...

I would be watching her weight very closely so you don't overshoot too far. Maybe try to weigh her again in 2 wks and take note. Make note of her energy level, since it's good right now, this may be closer to her optimal weight. But if she has already lost 6# in a month, chances are pretty good she's going to lose some more unless you adjust the amount. Will be interesting. Please keep us posted.

Thanks for the thoughts Birdbrainz I will definitely continue to keep an eye on her and adjust as needed. Ironically, I did not even start the food change for a weight loss. However, I am pleased with her trimmer look. As posted by Bob Pr. and your comments a leaner dog is generally better for longevity. I. Oh I looked up Windy Canyon Labradors and see that you are a breeder? Just curious as to what you feed: raw or kibble or a combination?

Thanks,
    Rebecca

Stop taking pictures I want to go play!

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Wellness core is a very good food. You have to think what are grains for? That's what livestock eat to fatten them up. She looks good to me. A nice lean dog is a happer dog.
    Alicia

Quote Originally Posted by diabolicalangel
    Thanks for the thoughts Birdbrainz I will definitely continue to keep an eye on her and adjust as needed. Ironically, I did not even start the food change for a weight loss. However, I am pleased with her trimmer look. As posted by Bob Pr. and your comments a leaner dog is generally better for longevity. I. Oh I looked up Windy Canyon Labradors and see that you are a breeder? Just curious as to what you feed: raw or kibble or a combination?
    I feed Canidae-- have for ~9 yrs with great success. 8) Anne