Re-Occuring Soft Stools

Thread: Re-Occuring Soft Stools

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe-Occuring Soft Stools

I seem to be fighting the same fight over and over again. Every month and a half or so Rocky gets soft stool. Lately it's been explosive diarhea. sometimes it's just really soft.
    Stool samples are tested and clear.

The rest of the time stools are perfect. then whammo. rice/beef for a week, back on kibble, good to go. over and over again. Some of the time it's giardhia (before christmas) but not always.

He did get to some poop to eat. it could likely be that. He's on Orijen and I try to not feed too many treat variety's (I stick to 2).

Any ideas?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Re-Occuring Soft Stools

Just a thought but does it happen after you give the heartworm pill? Which one do you use?
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

nope
    we use heartguard but only 6 or so mts of the year, haven't used it since November

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

From what I've read about giardhia it's really hard to find in stool samples sometime and you can never totally get rid of it. It lies dormant at times then comes back when they are stressed or their immune system weakens. Luckily I've never had any personal experience with it hopefully someone who has can give you more details. I think Laura's website has a good article about it.

Perhaps the Orijen is too rich for him. Is he maintaining a good weight? Did he have this problem before?

Have you tried adding things like canned pumpkin to his diet or tried treatment for giardia or coccidia anyhow?

we have treated for Giarhia often, until we get a clear test.

Things are no better or worse than before orijen. poops in between episodes are perfect (maybe a touch better than before).

weight is great, no problems there (we had to figure out how much to feed at first but that has been settled).

pumpkin is used only when he is on beef/rice regiment.

He gets probiotics (started this nearly two months ago)