about giardia...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about giardia...

Defaultabout giardia...

I'd never heard of it before I found out my potential foster dog has it. I googled it and it seems pretty awful for a pup to go through, but it also said that humans can get it. So I'm wondering, if any of your labs have had it, have you had it yourself? Has it spread between your animals? How long does it take the treatment to work before it's no longer contagious? I just don't want to get Fender or myself (or others in my household) sick by taking in this dog too soon. Thanks for any help on the matter!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: about giardia...

Rocky has had Giardhia a few times.

Talked to a few vets about this. To get it yourself you would have to eat his poop. And quite abit of it. otherwise they said it's not a worry.

Just do what you normally do for hygiene. wash your hands often, wash them before preparing food and eating. Wash your dog's food/water bowls. Pick up if they have an accident...and so on.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

rpliegos Guest

Misha had when I got her, donīt know if she got it from the breederīs or from my local park after sniffing other dogīs leftovers.

She had to take antibiotics (two different kinds because the first one did not eliminate it fully) for over 3 weeks. Run stool tests before and after each treatment, and then three weeks again after the dog finishes treatment.

My vet actually recommended everyone in the house should take preventive measures and take a treatment. I did. I didnīt get sick, but I think you can actually get infected (not by eating it, but through smell) because the spores of a dry stool fly in the air.

If I were you I would treat all pets at the same time regardless of wether they show symptoms or not, but check with your vet and do what he recommends. Always pickup immediately after they go to the bathroom and disinfect the area daily with chlorine

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Well I've never eaten poop and I have giardia. So do all of my dogs. Depending on where you live, it's pretty easy to pick up giardia. In MI, it's everywhere. Touch a tree and you have giardia on your hand. Put your hand on the grass and you have giardia on your hand.

We only treat for symptoms anymore since every stool sample will show it's there. If the dog isn't having diarrhea then it doesn't get treated. By only treating for symptoms we are trying to keep the giardia from becoming resistant to treatment. It's already resistant to Flagyl, which is the only treatment for humans. I don't even bother with Flagyl with the dogs since it doesn't treat it.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Well I've never eaten poop and I have giardia. So do all of my dogs. Depending on where you live, it's pretty easy to pick up giardia. In MI, it's everywhere. Touch a tree and you have giardia on your hand. Put your hand on the grass and you have giardia on your hand.

We only treat for symptoms anymore since every stool sample will show it's there. If the dog isn't having diarrhea then it doesn't get treated. By only treating for symptoms we are trying to keep the giardia from becoming resistant to treatment. It's already resistant to Flagyl, which is the only treatment for humans. I don't even bother with Flagyl with the dogs since it doesn't treat it.
    Wow, I wonder if it's more prevalent where you are because it's warm all the time? I agree with not overdoing meds, but I also don't want to expose my healthy dog to this parasite, especially since I just switched his food and is having runny poo issues on his own. Maybe I'll just tell the rescue that I want to wait until the foster's stool is clear for a while. From what the woman told me, he is still in a shelter in northern MN at this point anyway.

rpliegos Guest

If you can wait then I think itīs better.

My dogs tested negative after the second dose of antibiotics, they first took flagyl and then something call giacoccide (donīt know if itīs available in the US though).

I took Flagyl myself. pretty strong medicine...

Quote Originally Posted by fenders defender

Wow, I wonder if it's more prevalent where you are because it's warm all the time? I
    Warm all the time? Michigan? Oh well.

My kids have all had it and I do too. Like Labby I treat only when there are symptoms. Knock on wood, it "showed up" only once last year, and not too bad. Flagyl works on my dogs except once when Hoss had to go the Panacur route (did I remember that right) a couple of years ago. (But I bow to Labby's experience in what works best)

Messy and stinky and characteristically slimy when they get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom

Wow, I wonder if it's more prevalent where you are because it's warm all the time? I
    Ha, yeah, I thought that was funny. We Southerners consider MI a frozen wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom

HA! ;D Yeah, for some reason I was thinking MI was Missouri this morning. It's been an awfully long week. Thanks everyone for the input, I think we'll be waiting on this one for now.

labby is offline Senior Member

Well I had my laugh for the day. Oh yeah it's warm all the time here. As compared to the South Pole maybe.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast