how long for pads to heal?

Thread: how long for pads to heal?

Defaulthow long for pads to heal?

Gabs ripped her pads badly this weekend. We've been keeping them taped during the day/then putting a loose sock on at night to let them breathe but to prevent her from licking them.

Does anyone know how long it will take her pads to heal? She's still having a tough time walking on them and we're leaving the country this weekend- and our normal kennel is a 24 hr daycare/play facility. I'm wondering if I need to make other arrangements in the height of spring break season. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: how long for pads to heal?

She should be fine by this weekend. I wouldn't cover them unless she is really bugging at them. They need air to heal.

Murray ripped his pads off pretty deep on our kool deck. He could barely walk. Within 3 days he was walking albeit gingerly. Within 5 days he was walking normally on ground like tile/concrete but still kind of ouchy on pokey grass or gravel.

It could take 2-3 weeks to fully heal, but usually, if they leave it completely alone, you won't notice them bothered by it after 4-7 days.

My dog got an abrasion on Sunday. He is almost to the point he can walk with no limp on flat ground. I will not do any retrieves for about two weeks though.

I use an eliz. collar to stop him at night from licking it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    She should be fine by this weekend. I wouldn't cover them unless she is really bugging at them. They need air to heal.

Murray ripped his pads off pretty deep on our kool deck. He could barely walk. Within 3 days he was walking albeit gingerly. Within 5 days he was walking normally on ground like tile/concrete but still kind of ouchy on pokey grass or gravel.
    I agree about covering them too, if you can let the air get to it and it will heal faster

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    I've been worried about the salt- we live in a condo complex and they salt the sidewalks, parking lots, etc. I was carrying her between the condo and the grass for a while but my back started hurting

Also, the kennel is a daycare facility that uses astroturf. I think we may get a sitter to come in

Gene Guest

Merlot split his front paw pad in half last winter on ice. The cut was 3/4 of an inch deep. I left it alone at night, but put vasoline on it during the day. He quit limping after two days and it was all healed in about 8-9 days.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Molly cut her paw pad pretting bad on ice covered snow last year. I put Neosporin on it, it was really raw but in about 4-5 days it seemed to start healing & was not as red. I think it was a good couple of weeks before it completely healed.