Genetic Defect?????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genetic Defect?????

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultGenetic Defect?????

We've had Milly for a month now and she has been a fantastic addition to our family and she has never appeared to have any problems except for one thing that we're a little concerned about. She has weepy eyes! Some days it's not that bad but other days I swear she looks as if she's watched a cheesy chick-flick! I was at the pet store buying her food on the weekend and I mentioned it to the lady helping me (who advised me that she comes from a family of dog-breeders but they breed toy type dogs like Maltese and Bichon Frise) and she told me that Milly had a genetical birth "defect" I listened to what she had to say but was shocked that someone thought I had a "defective" dog and it's also upset me as well! A friend of ours thinks that she might have allergies? To dust or pollen which gets in her eyes when she's running around causing them to weep and she has suggested to bathe her eyes in warm, salty water? I'm seeing the vet this afternoon cause Milly is due for her 3 monthly shot so i'll ask him but I wanted to get a few more opinions.

Do I really have a defective puppy?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Genetic Defect?????

What kind of "genetic defect"? Are you thinking "hereditary" rather than a genetic/gene mutation? If you're thinking entropion/ectropion (where the eyelids turn in/out respectively, causing corneal trauma), you wouldn't be able to tell at this age whether or not it is something that is going to be a long-term problem. At this age, their body and skin seem to grow at different rates, which often causes their eyelids to "droop" inwards/outwards (something that can correct itself with time/maturity)... I would ask your vet.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

What kind of "genetic defect"?
    I don't know! The lady at the Pet Store basically meant (this is what I got out of her opinion anyway) that she has weak tear ducts which causes her eyes to seep fluids? She reckons it's in Milly's line of breeding and nothing can be done about it. I spoke to a lady in our Puppy Preschool class about it (and the puppy preschool teacher) and the lady who also has a puppy in our class said that her dog had the same sort of thing until she rinsed her eyes out in warm water. Maybe Milly has dust in her eyes which is bothering her? When we do alot of playing in the backyard (which is every afternoon) sometimes her eyes look a bit red but I never thought anything of it. Our puppy preschool teacher thought it might be allergies too and suggested warm, salty water

I just wanted to get opinions from the forum if anyone had any other ideas?

thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Could also be epiphora. Peanut had that as a puppy, and my vet said that they could fix it when she got spayed if I wanted, but she basically grew out of it by the time that came around.

I would also ask the vet, I am highly skeptical of medical advice dispensed from pet store clerks.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Could also be epiphora
    I had no idea what it was so I google'd it. I think you might be right as she often has a runny nose too. Not a wet doggy nose, but a runny nose and her nose sometimes drips.

I was thinking I was going crazy - surely my dog doesn't have sinus allergies? Maybe she does!! I'm definitely talking to my vet tonight when she gets her 3 month needle. Thanks for replying, cheers!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Rider had droopy weepy eyes as a pup and grew into his skin. I'd not worry too much for a bit yet.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnye
    We've had Milly for a month now and she has been a fantastic addition to our family and she has never appeared to have any problems except for one thing that we're a little concerned about. She has weepy eyes! Some days it's not that bad but other days I swear she looks as if she's watched a cheesy chick-flick! I was at the pet store buying her food on the weekend and I mentioned it to the lady helping me (who advised me that she comes from a family of dog-breeders but they breed toy type dogs like Maltese and Bichon Frise) and she told me that Milly had a genetical birth "defect" I listened to what she had to say but was shocked that someone thought I had a "defective" dog and it's also upset me as well! A friend of ours thinks that she might have allergies? To dust or pollen which gets in her eyes when she's running around causing them to weep and she has suggested to bathe her eyes in warm, salty water? I'm seeing the vet this afternoon cause Milly is due for her 3 monthly shot so i'll ask him but I wanted to get a few more opinions.

Do I really have a defective puppy?
    Don't get upset about what anyone says other than your vet about medical conditions. You can search the web to gather up the questions you want to ask, but so many people offer help without any real knowledge of what they are talking about. others are very knowledgeable, but how do you know which are which.

The pup looks to small to be able to make that kind of determination by a lay person. They go through so many stages. As far as defects go, most dogs have some kind of defect. Did you plan to competitively show the dog, or is it a pet. Enjoy the dog, sometimes dogs that are 'special' are best.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Mocha had droopy eyes when she was little too she grew out of it. The only time I notice it now is when she's really tired.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Abby had droopy eyes and very runny eyes for her first 3-4 months. She's fine now.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hey, did you run it by the breeder that you got her from? They should know something.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast