Soft stool advice sought

Thread: Soft stool advice sought

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultSoft stool advice sought

I remember reading that one could give a dog pumpkin to help remedy soft stool or diarhea. Hershey Kisses has developed soft stools today. The morning drop was normal but ended soft. She normally would not have a movement again until 7-9 tonight, but has gone three more times already today and they have been formed but very soft. Does anyone think giving her pumpkin will help, how much? Other remedies? If this doesn't clear up by tomorrow afternoon, off the the vet.

TIA
    Ed
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

krisinme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Soft stool advice sought

Ed,
    This time of year I treat for worms and possibly Giardia. There is so much run off of water that could comtaminate your dog area or well. I treat everyone in spring and fall.
    Kris

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

Now I might have a mixed up vet, but she said pumpkin gives them soft stools ???

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by krisinme
    Ed,
    This time of year I treat for worms and possibly Giardia. There is so much run off of water that could comtaminate your dog area or well. I treat everyone in spring and fall.
    Kris
    In your opinion, should I let this go a couple days and see if there is improvement, or see a vet right away about the parasite potential. I assume taking a stool sample in would be advsiable.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by krisinme
    Ed,
    Kris
    Our vet likes us to bring in a stool sample every spring for pretty much this same reason.

Thanks! HK has an appointment in two weeks for her spring checkup. (Pre-heartworm meds, annual stuff, and I guess whatever else they tell me. This is her first annual checkup.) Will head home at noon to check on her today. She was mopey all last evening, satisfied to just lay around, no requests for indoor fetch. That was the first night. She seemed warm to me, used a human thermometer and got just shy of 102F which I think is normal. This morning she seemed fine, perfectly normal, but no poop. I kind of think that is good.

Sometimes its a simple case of overfeeding. 1) Cut down the amout you give a bit 2) If you give 2 meals, do 3 for a week...if you do 1 meal, give 2 for a week; again at the smaller amt.