Vomit

Thread: Vomit

rws

DefaultVomit

We have a 10 year old female Black Lab. In the past few months she has been having a problem with getting sick to her stomach. She will, w/o warning, start heaving and then vomit. The thing that's unusual is that when doing this she makes an awful sound that we assume is a belch. It's awful and so loud that it will startle us. After she throws up she's fine and off to other things. She's no stranger to getting sick as like all Labs she ate some strange things as a pup but there was no belch associated with it. She also seems to gag & cough a lot as if she has something caught in her throat. Again, she makes that awful sound. In all other respects she is healthy, happy and a beloved member of the family.
    She weighs about 70lbs and leads a pretty sedate life in her golden years. We will take her to the vet but it's not her favorite place.
    Any ideas?
    Russ

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Vomit

My first idea would be to have her checked out by the vet (like you said). I'd just want to make sure the kidneys are normal and everything else checks out. Is she urinating normally?

If she checks out medically, then maybe you can look at how fast she's eating (perhaps with age the rapid eating and extra air is upsetting her stomach), or maybe the food isn't working for her. Until then, I don't have any ideas...sorry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rws

Thanks for the replies! It's 5:00am and she has just had another episode of the vomiting and that awful sound - "hraaaack!". I will try and get her to the vet. My wife seems to think there's a lot of bile being regurgitated along with some hair. I did read the articles on LP and some of those symptoms sound similar except they do not mention vomitting. When I go to the vet I will probably be told to bring her in Monday so in the meantime I'll get some food they offer that's good for upset stomachs. I think it's mostly some rice and chicken maybe?
    Thanks for the help folks - stay tuned.
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by rws
    I did read the articles on LP and some of those symptoms sound similar except they do not mention vomitting.
    The first article does:
    More severe signs include coughing/gagging, vomiting, and sometimes a near inability to breathe.
    I hope you find some answers for your girl.

Tundra Aries Guest

Also Leptospirosis made my boys sick as anything, almost lost them, be careful to with the warmer weather coming they can get this from drinking still water outside.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

My older lab now vomits with that same sound. He didn't as a younger dog...although he still vomits rarely, about once every 3-4 months. Good Luck. Hope it's nothing!

rws

We were trying to wait until Brandy's regular vet came back from a business trip but the vommiting got more frequent and we grew more concerned. We opted to take her in to one of his associates and left her for the afternoon. They did a complete blood workup and an SMA profile (???). Everything came back normal. They had asked if they could do Xrays but determined that they were not necessary. She was given a couple of shots to help control the problem. Cerenia & Pepcid. We were sent home with a couple of meds and instructed to feed smaller meals 3 times a day. Someone here also suggested that. We also picked up some OTC Pepcid AC to give her. She is like a new dog! She slept thru the night and is snoozing at my feet. We were sure that there was something terribly wrong but it seems that it was only a digestive problem. We have also changed to a turkey & rice canned food that the vet gave us.
    Thank you to those that replied.
    Russ

I have a 2 year old female lab. She has thrown up 2 times now. Once yesterday...and once today. I have not changed her food or given her new treats. She also has been licking her chops like she is trying to keep from throwing up. Recently the vet has given me some B complex pills to give to her which is supposed to be 1 time per day...but the vet told me to double up for 30 days as she is having a dry skin issue right now. Could these supplements be causing the upset tummy or does someone have any suggestions to help with the nausea? Oh, and she has very loose stool as well. Help! ???

Quote Originally Posted by TRISHAC25
    I have a 2 year old female lab. She has thrown up 2 times now. Once yesterday...and once today. I have not changed her food or given her new treats. She also has been licking her chops like she is trying to keep from throwing up. Recently the vet has given me some B complex pills to give to her which is supposed to be 1 time per day...but the vet told me to double up for 30 days as she is having a dry skin issue right now. Could these supplements be causing the upset tummy or does someone have any suggestions to help with the nausea? Oh, and she has very loose stool as well. Help! ???
    That would be my guess not knowing your dog. I would suspend giving the supplement and see if she improves.

I am sure that there are nutrition experts on here who can address the need to supplement with a B complex pill versus a natural food source for that purpose. I would prefer to improve diet rather than add pills.