yeast infection in ear.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yeast infection in ear.

corona2006 is offline Member

Defaultyeast infection in ear.

I had to take my baby in a couple months ago for a yeast infection in her left ear. got the drops did them and it was gone. well Monday, her ear was inflammed again. cleaned it, had some of the drops left so put some more in the past couple days. Does anyone else have a problem with their babies getting these? Anything else I can try to do for her?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: yeast infection in ear.

Henry suffered from awful gungy ears for the first few years of his life and it wasn't until we had the gungies cultured that we figured out it was definitely yeast, and not just "ear infections" as he had been treated for.

A grain-free diet will definitely be beneficial. Also:
    The foods to cut back or eliminate include:
    - All grains, including rice and pasta
    - Starchy vegetables, such as carrots, potatoes, yams, winter squash, corn and green peas.
    - Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (which is alkaline, while white vinegar is acidic)
    - Large amounts of dairy products
    - Fruits
    from http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter...d-it-be-yeast/

At the time I was using a LOT of cut-up baby carrots as training treats, which were also contributing to his yeast issues.

Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Some labs will get them alot because of their flappy ears they don't get air down in there to dry them out so it's a breeding ground for yeast and bacteria. First they need to find out exactly what kind of infection it is yeast or bacterial they should do a culture to find out for sure. If this is only the second one I wouldn't jump to changing food yet unless you want to because of other reasons. I would try another round of treatment maybe with a different medication. I used Zymox with Mocha and it worked really good. Others on here swear by the purple stuff. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html
    Sometime you just don't get it all the first time and there is still some way down in the ear that after a few weeks starts the infection again. If it keeps coming back I would change food for sure but sometimes that can cause other issues and I wouldn't want to make the situation more difficult by switching when you don't know the cause is the food.

We dealt with yeasty ears for the first year....one ear worse than the other for some reason. It was really a stubborn thing to treat, and I figured she was going to be prone to these forever. Anyway she hasn't had a problem for a couple of years now.....nothing that needed to be treated with antibiotics. We keep a close watch and use cleaner when necessary....which is usually about once a month at this point. By doing this I think we are catching the problem before it takes off. The cleaner itself can be a bit irritating for her (and she hates having the drops put in), so I try not to use it anymore than we need to. Did your Vet recommend anything other than the original treatment?

My poor pup gets a ear problem every once in a while, right now he has one in his left ear and it is always the same one. does anyone have any reccommendations or treatments they suggest? i feel so bad for him!

My male lab gets yesty ears from any chicken kibble, so he's on lamb and does fine. He rarely gets a yeast infection now, depends sometimes on the weather too with him

My 3-year old Maggie Mae has had a history of yeast infections in her ears. Fortunately, it's been several months since she had an ear problem. But with the rainy season here in California she has a yeast infection on her paws and belly/groin area. She was licking her paws and other parts like crazy. I took her to the Vet and he gave her some pills and a shampoo. I was worried when she first started the ear infections that she had a food allergy. She and our chihuahua are now fed California Natural Lamb & Rice dog food becuase it has few ingredients. Are there any ideas for me on how to prevent the yeast infections? Change food again? I eat yogurt every day to prevent yeast infections when taking anti-biotics. This may be a dumb questions, but would feeding her yogurt help at all?

Grain free diets aren't for every dog. Rhys who had never ever had a bad ear all of a sudden popped up with one after 3 weeks on the Orijen.

Get it cleared up, and keep it from coming back, that's the best way.

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

DefaultGrain Free NOT for puppies !

I was told this about a month ago, when I wanted to switch my Bella
    to grain free to hopefully help with her poop eating and yeasty ears.
    I was told the calcium and protein contents were too high for a pup.
    Bella had to have her ears flushed at the vet (under anesthesia). Then
    I was to clean and med her ears for a week and come back for an ear
    check. Same for another week, was told she is clear and to just clean
    the ears with a gentle wash twice a week to stay ahead of it, and it is
    working. I also am giving her 1 TBSP ACV once a day. (someone here told
    me that too !)
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast