Heartworm (Need some help)

Thread: Heartworm (Need some help)

DefaultHeartworm (Need some help)

Hi guys, I'm new here and I currently own a 5 months old lab puppy.. I have some questions regarding on heartworm... What is the best heartworm preventive for you??
    My pup is just around 10 days before he will be 5 months...He was been already heartworm when he was 3 months old and i wanted to heartworm him with HEARTGARD.PLUS chewable...The proper dosage of HEARTGARD.PLUS is one chewable/month...If my pup is positive on immature heartworms, Can HEARTGARD.PLUS remove and kill all those heartworms in just 1dosage(1month)?

Thank you guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Heartworm (Need some help)

why would your pup be already positive on immature worms? If your dog becomes positive (and usually doesn't happen at such an early age)....Hearguard will help...but he'll have to go through extensive treatment if the worms have moved past the microfilia stage. If you keep your dog on monthly preventative, the chances of that happening are not likely.

I prefer Interceptor....it works for me and my dogs...and has other wormers in it. I use mine every 45 days.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

arlinevg is offline Member

We have two labs now. A 4 yr old yellow female and a 5 1/2 month black male. My vet have us give them Heartguard Plus once a month. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and the weather is fairly temperate so that's why we treat all year. My understanding is that the medication kills any larvae, not necessarily the established heartworms. It's preventative in that regard. But the Plus version of the medication does kill round and hookworms as well. I saw that some lab owners on the forum say they treat every 40-45 days. I might switch over to that versus the first of every month. I'm worried that we sometimes over medicate, but a dog with heartworms isn't a pretty thing. I also have my vet give me an rx for the medication and I buy it from a animal supply company, KV Vet. It's less expensive than purchasing it directly from your vet. Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Im also worried about over-vaccinating. Would it be recommended to switch to every 45days??

Dani is offline Senior Member

45 days is the lowest recommended dosage. If you are prone to forgetting...then stick with 30 days. If you treat year around, then you can do 45 days...and still test annually or every other year. I dose year around and at 45 days. Testing every other year. Heartguard plus will kill the microfilia, but not any adult worms...it's the microfilia that get transfered from mosquito to dog...so if you dose regularly, it shouldn't be an issue. But, if you start giving an adult dog that already has heartworm HW prevention, it could complicate matters in recovery.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003